Study on Goo Goo Dolls - Iris

Hi!

Using this song to study head/passaggio coordination today, lots of dynamics on the most important notes and this song simply does not tolerate that you just pass it fully into head sooner than it should. Took me a while, but I think it came up decent at last! :D

Here goes nothing:

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/ggtp8g_E/Felipe_Carvalho_Iris.html

2 takes, one before, another after the solo.

Please let me know what you guys think!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Blew me away man! If I had to criticise I would say just open up a little on those chorus notes. I think it would be even better if you opened the vowels a bit and kept the flow more smooth between the syllables. But I think I hear an accent there so I know it must be very hard! Keep in mind this is a small comment because your tone is amazing! :) Great

Tnx for listenning and writing guys!

I still have a long way to get this more solid. The accent is there but the main problem is that there is still a lot of basics work to be done on this region :P.

Really glad you guys liked it, this is a song that was simply impossible for me to sing a year ago, even if I tried to scream out the chorus, it would not work.

I was going to try and critique but I realize that mainly, it's an aesthetic thing. Aesthetic choices I might make, others might make. So, my opinions and observations plus $1.70 USD will get you a Diet Coke.

I think the accent is neat. Adds a flavor to it. Nice relaxed feel to the verses. Laconic, like the original. I like your vowels on the chorus. Others that think it should be more open are comparing you to John Resznik. You sing with more vocal fold compression in the chorus than he does. His is a little more airy, rattle-ly, as opposed to you singing it like an aria. I totally dig your approach to it.

Please believe me, this is not sour grapes or "you said it about me and I am going to say it about you" or anything like that. I noticed, in my hearing, that you were a little pitchy at the onset of the choruses. Mostly people are pitchy going a little flat. You are the opposite. The pitchiness was a little sharp. And I think this is from the coupe d' glotte you use to start the phrase. The main body of the note is on pitch. The onset is 1/2 of a moustache hair higher, and I think that is due to the tighteness of compression in your folds as you begin, a glottal stroke. You are singing your glutea maximus off. That being said, DO NOT change it. I like it the way it is. It gives emotion and momentum to the chorus.

:D

First thing, tnx a lot for listenning and for the detailed review man.

About the aesthetics, lets see:

The accent exists, really not much I can do about it, but if something comes out too ugly or plain wrong, please tell me, I promise you this does not offend me at all, and is such a simple thing to fix!

The choice on the chorus was exactly what you said, full voice and dynamics down, I thought it could work well on this song and it would fit nicely to what I am working now. Glad that you liked it! Think I will stick to it if I have to sing this on the future!

About going sharp, cant really say that it was a choice heheheh. Its a sign that it will take some work to get this part of my voice tamed. But if you say that it does not compromises the end result, I believe you :P.

Tnx again!

Don't tame it, at least for this song. It works for this song. Like I said, it brings the emotion into the face of the listener. It's one of those cases where I can point to something and say "do that some more."

And I had hesitated to mention the perceived sharpness and only did because I hear it in recording. That's the problem with recording, it picks up things you don't realize are there. If I heard you sing this live, I would not hear the momentary onset.

Archived