Letter to Dana & We All Die Young covers

So, I am coming off from a 6 hour rehearsal as my band got a bass player and he needed to learn the songs for a show Friday night. I am not really proud of either one of these covers. I don't have the range yet for either one, but I had fun doing them! Critique as needed - and I am sure there is a TON needed! Oh, and I didn't do 14 billion back up vocals so don't expect too much of that lol.

Letter To Dana - http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11389223&q=hi&newref=1

We All Die Young - http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11389224&q=hi&newref=1

Oh,man, "We all Die Young" was my favorite song from the sound track of Rockstar. Years ago, on one of the crews I worked on (we were working on Griffin Middle School in Frisco, Texas) a co-worker and I would sing this song and one would take one phrase, and the other would take another. And then I started butchering lyrics on purpose, coming up with alternate words that lent a whole new meaning. You had to be there.

I would love to cover this song, as well. Right now, though, I am learning the song that you gave me, plus ressurecting the other one that I told you about. But this might have to be my project after that.

Don't worry about the high notes. Now, lest anyone think I am talking about being lazy, that's not it. You've got the right placement. And no one should really have a problem with falsetto if the notes are correct. I can hear you are getting more closure in your higher notes, so, you are on the right track. And look how far you have come, already.

Amazing.

I know we're supposed to be brutal and honest but I stink at that. I'll let others handle that. To each, his own talent.

Just listened to your version of Letter To Dana.. You have the rhythm down, you know when to come in at all times, something I struggle with o_O

On the high notes however your voice becomes really thin and you have to resort to falsetto/head very early (something Tony only does in places like "Dana, Dana, DANA!" and "love is not the thing I feel now, I promise you, I won't cry again[...], but with immense power, ie "rock falsetto"). I would say, work on getting more body to those notes, you have the voice but it sounds a bit fragile and restrained.. UNLEASH it! :P Experiment a bit with a lowered larynx (also this could be very beautiful in the first and last verse as they are sung an octave down), as well as singing with "your entire body", because like I said, it sounds very restrained, almost like you sit down while singing :3

Hope I don't come across as rude, just an observation and my own opinions :3

Hmm, good question. Basically, what I do when I do more powerful falsetto is I have a lot of support, more than usual and I lower my uhm, nor larynx but, the area which the tongue is stuck to, herpderp... Anyway, it produces a richer, boomier sound. It should be noted that it is a physically demanding singing technique though. You can't relax, sit down and slouch if you intend to have it sound good :3 People who say singing should be effortless have probably never sung a good note in their entire lives :p

Keith - it sounds good! If you want those high head voice notes to be "thicker" it can take time. If you want to get it going by february I'd seriously consider a Skype lesson with either Tamplin, Lunte, or Tony Ohora. Get one scheduled pretty fast. For example, another one of our forum members did one lesson with Tamplin and he was singing skid row which he was never able to do before.

Keith - it sounds good! If you want those high head voice notes to be "thicker" it can take time. If you want to get it going by february I'd seriously consider a Skype lesson with either Tamplin, Lunte, or Tony Ohora. Get one scheduled pretty fast. For example, another one of our forum members did one lesson with Tamplin and he was singing skid row which he was never able to do before.

This is good, this idea! I'll see if I can budget it.

Look, this is by no means a vocal exercise. I wanted to start doing a video series where I teach heavy metal vocals, and take a step by step approach to doing it where it's kept extremely simple. I'll be starting my video series sometime this week, but this was just a camera and mic test. Check it out. While this may be a more advanced explanation, it just may help you with what everyone here is trying to tell you to do. Maybe it'll help maybe not, but here it is anyway... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BqtdNTQgnU&list=UUSu51HUPPX_qnD3dyxIC9AA&index=8&feature=plcp

Archived