PAINKILLER cover. (or some of it anyway...) love to hear your thoughts

Ok, so this is my first post on here..... and yes, going in at the deep end with Judas Preist's Painkiller. I figured what the hell. Recorded this after not singing for a few weeks.... so forgive the intonation quirks etc. I haven't spent much time working on the song, and struggled with (as you will hear) the line "he - is - the - painkiller, this- is etc" Seems to be right on the bridge.... (the first few words of the phrase anyway) I tried doing it clean (without the 'shriek' you hear on the word "he"). It sounded nice.... but gutless.

Bombard me with your thoughts!

Cheers.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11395923&q=hi

P.S it's not the whole song..... just the first few mins.

So you just started singing no too long ago? if so, you're going to be well on your way to being a great metal singer. You have a great head voice. Sounds fairly full, a little light in some spots, but your higher register is naturally there for you as it was me when I first started singing.

Some things you need to work on:

1) You need to make those higher notes a little fuller by learning how to use your mixed voice.

2) You need to watch your pitch. You're singing the song too high. I'm guessing you sang it higher because Halford's notes are right around your discernible break and you sang it higher to prevent yourself from being all over the place? Am I right?

Look, as a metal vocalist myself, I can attest to how difficult this song is to sing. Hell, it's even tough for Halford to do anymore. So big props to you for even attempting it as a new singer. Just remember this, though...I made the mistake very early in my metal singing career that high notes were where it's at all the time. I thought the higher I could sing, the more I'd be respected. NOT TRUE! Singing high in tasteful spots is great, but the audience's ears will grow tired of it if you do it all the time like I used to early in my career.

Good luck with your singing. Like I said, not too shabby! Some things to work on, but we all have things to work on.

Thank you sir. Yeah, I kind of sing on and off... figured perhaps I'd like to get serious about it now.

Yeah, I overpitched it.... still 'in key' but popped the melody up here and there.... kinda cheating ;)

Yeah, I hear you on the high notes front. The real 'money notes' are the ones just below, in and just above the break.... I'm working on 'em!

I don't have a routine right now, I just sing when it takes my fancy. So perhaps I ought to start chopping away at the serious stuff.

You have a great metal voice! Yeah, you're about a fifth off in some spots.. you could cheat and go sing the correct note over it and have a harmony :) Where on earth did you get that range?

Thanks man! it's very much a new work in progress for me. I may do that.... go back and pop the correct notes in where I totally overshot the mark. Or perhaps re- record it correctly after spending some time living with it.

Thanks for the compliment on my range! I'd floundered around with various 'do it yourself' systems for years, and whilst they got me into a connected head voice, it still sounded like rubbish. Then a couple of years ago, did some online lessons with good 'ol Rob Lunte, but didn't stick with him long enough to reap the ultimate benefits. He did help a lot though. Since then it's been trial and error, on and off singing, and I kind of finally stumbled across this relaxed, supported co-ordination which can have a truck load of grit if you want (I used a little in that clip). So now I'm working on honing it into a sharp blade! (making it less shit!)

Check this out bro. I just started doing some online vocal lessons. Subscribe to my page and I'll post vids up every two weeks. The rest of the instructional vids are on my bands page. Check it out. Let me know if it helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv7kciWi4Pw&list=UUSu51HUPPX_qnD3dyxIC9AA&index=4&feature=plcp

Nick, first i must say that you have an awesome head voice, absolutely fantastic. I agree with the others that you sang this higher than Halford. But....i like it and i think it sounds great, with the vocal a little more buried in the mix i would have enjoyed it even more.

Check this out bro. I just started doing some online vocal lessons. Subscribe to my page and I'll post vids up every two weeks. The rest of the instructional vids are on my bands page. Check it out. Let me know if it helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv7kciWi4Pw&list=UUSu51HUPPX_qnD3dyxIC9AA&index=4&feature=plcp

Cool. Thanks! I'm gonna check your videos out...

Nick, first i must say that you have an awesome head voice, absolutely fantastic. I agree with the others that you sang this higher than Halford. But....i like it and i think it sounds great, with the vocal a little more buried in the mix i would have enjoyed it even more.

Thank you Olem! I really appreciate the positive feedback. Haven't really put my voice out there before... so it's nice to get some feedback and validation. Also of course, criticism, so that I might move forward. Next time I will pay more attention to the balance of the mix. Perhaps next I will do some Manowar... something from Battle Hymns, or Into Glory Ride perhaps.....

Cheers Man! Checked out the youtube vids of yours I could find. I once did the lip trills/tongue trills religiously each day.... but have not in quite a while. Perhaps time to revisit them. I will subscribe when I get my lazy ass to it... but it will happen!

P.S I dig you band man, great stuff!!

So, how did you figure out the connected head voice ?

Hi Keith,

When I first started out, it didn't come to me at all. Anything over E4 I'd pull chest and crack horribly like a chump. Tried a few methods and still wasn't clicking with the whole head voice thing.... I thought it would feel like chest voice, so I kept pushing it up in vain. Then I messed around with Manning's SS, and that was a bit of a eureka moment, doing the lip bubble scales, then phonating them on vowels. That got me into head voice and out of chest pull city. Then I took skype lessons with the good Mr Rob Lunte for a month or so and worked with his original 4 pillars (stopping owing to time restraints on my part). Those skype lessons were invaluable for working on a smooth passagio and helping me to understand the requirements of the low head tones. Didn't stick with him long enough to reap what would have been the ultimate benefits of his teaching, but lots of what he was getting me to do really sunk in much later on when I was working in a trial and error manner by myself. Since then it's been singing songs, doing slow sirens/slides, trial and error in searching for distortion/better or more full timbres and generally screaming my head off at the top of my range when doing long car trips!

Archived