Excited ;DDD WISHING WELL!!!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Ok, I'm durnk like a mofo! :DD Buuuut... I spent many hours today on thi... I can't play the guitar at all so the guitar alone took many retakes T__________T

I hope you enjoy :DDD The high notes in the end were a bit iffy because they need some warm up... It's only A4 and sound a bit strained but I wanted ALL of this song to be pure chest.

To me, the key to any good performance is being relaxed and it sounds as if you were relaxed. A person gets tense trying to be perfect and wears themself out and says, oh well, what the heck... then, the magic happens and it falls into place. Kind of like looking for your car keys forever and not finding them. In exhaustion, you sit down and hear a jingle. There were the keys, all along.

Yeah, well relaxation is key as you say... I am very aware of what my voice can do and what it can't... For example the wails before the last chorus et cetera. I am very confident in my delivery on most parts.. Singing wise the first parts did not need a single retake but the last chorus was tough, partially because I became aware of singing when doing it loud "oh shit my neighbors are going to think I strangle a cat" plus I struggle with high chest notes :3

Go ahead and strangle the cat.

Moderator Meyers and I got to meet last summer. Together, we "ran over a dog." We were out in the garage trading vocal licks and doing some scales. Dude is scary good and can harmonize a minor third above what someone else is doing.

He has an app on his found that is a pitch finder. You sing and it tells you what pitch it was. We issued forth an ear-splitting E5. His mom came out to the garage to see if everything was okay. She thought we ran over one of the dogs! :cool:

I guess you had to be there.

Sorry, Patrick, I'm all you get. That and one little, mashed bag of chips and some cheap knock-off of Coca-Cola. I know it's a bit of a denouement but such is life...

:rolleyes:

Haha, well what can I say, I am a sucker for Coca Cola, bring it! ;D

Nah, but I guess I should take it as a compliment - there's nothing to critique!!

Haha oh I'm so full of myself :3 I dunno, the "Letter To Dana"-thing got a lot more comments while it did suck something horrible whereas this one, where I actually put some effort and believe I did very well.. Gets none... Haha oh my petty ego!

I think it sounds really good. You can tell you're well connected to your breath support. Your tone is well balanced and free. Sounds like your vowels are formed well in the upper range (meaning good vowel modification). Based on your comments, the A4 may be the top of your TA dominant chest voice, and you haven't gone into head voice yet - but I could be wrong on that. Keep up the good work.

On the mix - it would be nice if your voice was louder and with less reverb.

Thanks a lot guitartrek!

The top A4 notes are in overdrive (i.e last chorus "always been a good friend of mine, and you're always saying farewell and the only time that you are satisfied, 'swith your feet, in the wishing... well.."), which, unless heavily supported "flips" into head which is a totally different coordination.. This song pushes my "comfortable" range just enough to make it a challenge... It's easy enough to allow me to play with words, vowels, wails and emotions and challenging enough to have me put good effort into the high notes... I recommend it! :3

The mix... Yeah I have some troubles balancing the voice vs the instruments... I actually thought my voice dominated a bit too much, haha! :3 But yeah, I need to find out how to get the reverb just right. I'm not a ProTools wizard and the presets never sound good.. :(

Nah, but I guess I should take it as a compliment - there's nothing to critique!!

I think that's pretty much it.

A few reasons I can think of for the lack of response outside of Geno and myself.

First off, it's not some heavy metal "screamer." So, it doesn't make a blip on most people's radar. It's outside of their sound ideal, so they don't know how to comment on it. I've posted a few songs that never received one comment. Not "great job" or "Please, quit singing and you will benefit mankind." Nothing.

Another reason. Some people only respond if they think something went wrong and they want to help you. If you don't need help (and you didn't need help with this,) they won't bother to comment. Passing judgement on others is a powerful drug.

Also, some people are busy and by the time they get to the section of the forum, the other posts have moved your thread down somewhere they aren't looking.

For example, I once put up a thread of my cover of "Angel in Blue" by the J. Geils Band. Not a single comment, for whatever reason.

Like you said, sometimes, no news is good news. This is the modern vocalist, but one might have an unofficial name of, "the modern heavy metal vocalist." I'm not saying that we should change the name of the forum. I have also mentioned that this section could be re-named "Critique my recording equipment and mixing skills."

Anyway, I am always a fan of yours, Patrick. I don't speak Swedish, so, in german, "Ausgezeichnet!"

Aye you're right. It's mostly about heavy metal here and what can I say? It's my favorite genre and I really wish I had the voice for it. Some songs, I do, I think and some, I don't.. Just like most people... But then again, singing is so much more than screaming the highest of notes... I mean, when some people sing the A4 I sung, it sounds really high and bright (without going into head voice) (Tony Kakko for example), when I sing it it doesn't sound very high at all... My bottom notes doesn't sound very low at all.. My voice sounds pretty.. "compact" in it's register's ends while some people have voices with a narrower register but a much broader spectrum of overtones, brightness et cetera...

But while it is indeed fascinating with people showing off their range, what would fascinate ME even MORE is if someone would spend more time perfecting their low and mid range and actually sing an entire song full of flair and emotion... Something not many people here do...

I think EVERYONE can improve, forever and always... But then again, I've been getting mah drunk on so I'm just.. Ramblin'... O_O

Archived