Singers in the studio - DIO, Halford, Kevin DuBrow, Geoff Tate, Dokken

Duchi

Hello!

I found this clip on youtube, it's from the project "Hear n' Aid", it is the rock equivalent of "We are the world". Just all the rock stars in the same place, I don't know how the studio didn't blow up! For all the fellow guitarist, you should also check the other video, where all the guitarists play!

So, a couple of months ago there was some discussion going on here, about how much volume do singers use, when they sing in the studio, this clip is the answer! Notice Dio's vocals, I kinda like his raw vocals more than the mixed ones, because some of the voice qualities get somehow drowned in the mix, the same as listening to Chris Cornell sing Jesus Christ Pose acapella - its very intense!

Notice Geoff Tate's voice at 7:32, it gets weaker, not supporting enough? But I think he sings pretty loud.

At 2:40 Don Dokken sounds very quiet in comparsion with DuBrow or Dio. Or at 6:54 this guys doesn't sound like he is singing louder than his speech volume. Then at 7:14 you can hear how his voice sounds with the effect and a second later without them.

So, have a listen :

Hello!

I found this clip on youtube, it's from the project "Hear n' Aid", it is the rock equivalent of "We are the world". Just all the rock stars in the same place, I don't know how the studio didn't blow up! For all the fellow guitarist, you should also check the other video, where all the guitarists play!

So, a couple of months ago there was some discussion going on here, about how much volume do singers use, when they sing in the studio, this clip is the answer! Notice Dio's vocals, I kinda like his raw vocals more than the mixed ones, because some of the voice qualities get somehow drowned in the mix, the same as listening to Chris Cornell sing Jesus Christ Pose acapella - its very intense!

Notice Geoff Tate's voice at 7:32, it gets weaker, not supporting enough? But I think he sings pretty loud.

At 2:40 Don Dokken sounds very quiet in comparsion with DuBrow or Dio. Or at 6:54 this guys doesn't sound like he is singing louder than his speech volume. Then at 7:14 you can hear how his voice sounds with the effect and a second later without them.

So, have a listen :

in most cases high notes are louder than low notes. there's also more air pressure needed for powerful high notes. in fact, if you don't have enough pressure or sing them loud, you simply won't get the note.

it's a bone of contention in singing that you can sing high notes very easily. it's just not true.

Another one of the illusions of singing... What sounds huge doesn't necessarily mean a lot of volume. An intense vocal feels intense in the heart and mind, not in the throat. A quiet note can require a tremendous amount of effort. etc etc

Archived