Skype Lessons - How are vocal exercises done?

Rate this topic

bleetenor

Can the teacher play the piano while the student is singing? How does the student get the accompaniment for their vocal exercises? Isn't there a time lag if the teacher is playing the piano and the student is singing through Skype? Or does the student play some kind of accmpaniment for themselves? I'd like to know how other teachers do it.

Thanks!

Brian Lee

http://www.vocalability.com

Thanks, Robert. I had already watched that video, but it does not show me how one is guided through exercises. If I am doing it live with student, I play the piano while they sing. Can you do that in real time with the student on Skype or do they have to play scale patterns themselves? I wonder how the timing would work.

• Administrator

no "lag" in the transmission if you both have a good connection. Do not ask your student to sing over your piano.. .that wont work. Your student has to have the scale audio source on their end and you watch it. You wouldnt want your student to have to struggle with following scales being piped over the internet... they need to be working out in their space with all they need.. and your just a voyeur.

The first studio I studied at all the lesson audio was recorded and burned to a CDR. I practiced using the CDR until the next lesson. At the second studio I studied at there was no recording or recorded audio provided, thus I learned to play simple scales on a keyboard to practice. This required I sit during practice. I now practice using The Four Pillars of Singing. Recorded audio is included (as is a book, and DVD with video of multiple pillars singing the exercises with proper technique and wonderful tones). I practice using the recorded audio, and when I have Skype lessons with Robert, I am practicing as I do on my own, using the same audio tracks. This helps the student to not be distracted with a bunch of tasks, it prevents the frustration of lag do to an ever changing bandwidth and packet lag, it prevents the frustration of the student having to own and learn to play an instrument while they are trying to train their voice.

Skype lesson - I use a laptop, logitech camera, Skype software, Polycom Communicator hi def mic, guitar amp, Rode M1 microphone and vocalizes tracks from The Four Pillars of Singing. I play the track, sing through the mic / amp and watch the laptop for any feedback from Rob. He instructs and coaches. The lessons are light years better than I thought Skype lessons would be.

In short, record the scales for your students to use for practice and during lessons. Provide the student with the recordings as .mp3 or in a format they can play.

TIP: play the scales / vocalize tracks on a device other than the computer used for Skype if you have the cancel background noise enabled. If you play the tracks from the same computer then the voice teacher will not hear most or all of the scale audio. I use a second device to play the audio and it works nicely.

• Administrator

Thanks for the feedback Mark. Folks, I have to give Mark some kudos. In our last internet lesson, he absolutely made my jaw drop on how awesome his head tones were sounding! We work well as a team on the internet lessons and as non-biased as I can possibly here... the internet lessons with Mark have been hugely beneficial and the results we are getting are amazing. I look forward to another 10 lessons with Mark... You should record yourself doing some of the vocal workouts and head tones we have developed together and let people hear what we have worked on together. True to TVS, show them what we did... stand behind your work and accomplishment and put it out there... Mark has a solid future as a lead vocalist.

Coincidentally, I just uploaded this video of me and Mip Phillips from the UK... Mip is another great internet lesson client of mine that has benefited greatly from the skype lessons. Im in Seattle and he is in the UK... This June I had a chance to meet Mip in person in Birmingham, UK during my "Training Vocal Athletes" Workshop in June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVRCTDtaPtc