Me and Bobby McGee and 75 Acousit/Vocal also Yodeling

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello everybody! I'm new here. I'm also new to putting videos on the web of me singing. I started a youtube account yesterday, and I wanted to see if people liked how I sang, or if they thought that I was even worth the time to listen to. I was considering about auditioning for American Idol, but I need more than just my family's opinion to help my decision. Anyway, I have uploaded 3 videos. I covered Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin, and 75 by Aaron Lewis. I also have a yodeling video I did for fun. I thank anybody that watches, whether it's only 10 views or 1,000 I still want to thank each individual person. Here are the links, and please let me know how I am. Thanks :)

Me and Bobby McGee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YMkzsqeKxE&feature=context&context=G25845d8FUAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU3J9Cx2ujk&context=C31c92cfADOEgsToPDskJw8DuYyJ8GJGkHooPANxXu

Yodeling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvGMjnlXXx0&feature=context&context=C31c92cfADOEgsToPDskJw8DuYyJ8GJGkHooPANxXu

My channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThisIsJewels

Little bit of trivia. "Me and Bobby McGee" was actually written by Kris Kristofferson. Janis' version was one step higher than yours. But I liked your version. Kind of like a Martina McBride version. You've got the "country" sound in your voice, which is perfect for this song. In fact, speaking of McBride, I bet you could do a bang-up version of "Independence Day."

And Gretchen Wilson's "redneck woman" song. You've got the same voice type as hers, from what I can hear. Though I think someone said this was being recorded on a cellphone.

Anyway, you do what I do, which is get in front of others with a guitar and sing a song. Ain't nothing like it.

In fact, I should click on your email icon and send you a link to my cover of "Live Like You were Dying" by Tim McGraw.

Little bit of trivia. "Me and Bobby McGee" was actually written by Kris Kristofferson. Janis' version was one step higher than yours. But I liked your version. Kind of like a Martina McBride version. You've got the "country" sound in your voice, which is perfect for this song. In fact, speaking of McBride, I bet you could do a bang-up version of "Independence Day."

And Gretchen Wilson's "redneck woman" song. You've got the same voice type as hers, from what I can hear. Though I think someone said this was being recorded on a cellphone.

Anyway, you do what I do, which is get in front of others with a guitar and sing a song. Ain't nothing like it.

In fact, I should click on your email icon and send you a link to my cover of "Live Like You were Dying" by Tim McGraw.

Thank you so much for replying! I didn't think that anyone would. I feel more comfortable singing in front of crowd, and love to play with my acoustic. I got the email that you sent me, and I appreciate what you wrote, and the cover of Live Like You Were Dying, it is truly an amazing song. I don't have any kind of audio equipment besides a cell phone or video camera haha, so the audio won't sound as clear or professional as the people that do, but I hope everybody can still hear it well enough to know if I can sing or not.

Thank you so much for replying! I didn't think that anyone would. I feel more comfortable singing in front of crowd, and love to play with my acoustic. I got the email that you sent me, and I appreciate what you wrote, and the cover of Live Like You Were Dying, it is truly an amazing song. I don't have any kind of audio equipment besides a cell phone or video camera haha, so the audio won't sound as clear or professional as the people that do, but I hope everybody can still hear it well enough to know if I can sing or not.

And thank you. I like doing that song because it gives me chills.

I don't have much equipment, either. A computer built in 2005 out of spare parts. I call it "Frankenstein." A CM-1 Studio Condenser mic (on which that song was recorded.) A mic stand, usb interface, cable. I have a Sennheiser e835 dynamic stage mic, the most expensive thing I own and I got it for half of retail on eBay. It was $74.99 with free shipping and no sales tax because I live in Texas. And I use Audacity software, which is freeware. The studio mic, usb, stand, cable, and pop filter were given to me as a gift from a friend here. Thanos, (akawrd,) from Greece. He ordered it from a supply in Germany and had it shipped here.

I have a Memphis Les Paul that I bought in 1982, my senior year in high school. A Hondo Flying V. A Fender 85 amp that puts out 200 Watts rms (it's really loud.) And a Roland GS-6 digital effects unit. But mostly I just hammer stuff out on this cheapie $40 acoustic guitar that I bought at a flea market in Kleburg, Texas. It was ancient then. I think I bought it in 1993. It's about ready to bite the dust.

And yes, you can sing. Quite well, and you do it in front of others. In fact, doing it in front of family and friends is even tougher than strangers. For they are more prone to be harsh with you, lest you get a "big" ego. With strangers, as long as you are on pitch (which you were) and you are singing a song they like to sing with, you're good. They don't have any reason to "take you down a notch."

And you are totally spot on on "75." If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn you wrote the song. You sang it like you owned it. That's the way to go.

ronws thank you so much! It's great to hear positive words from someone outside the family! I have been trying to figure out a way for people to see my videos as I just started. I plan on putting more up, but I guess everyone starts somewhere, so I will approach it with baby steps. I really love to sing and play my guitar when I can, even when the family is just sitting around the house, because they always have time for it.

Admin. Namlik is keen on helping people get themselves heard on the main site. And he does so much, and tirelessly, in spite of the physical challenges in his life, not to mention his own singing artistry.

• Administrator

Ron,

I TRULY appreciate your compliments !!! I cannot THANK YOU enough for your kind words !!! You are TRULY a FRIEND !!!

Not to mention that you are a "Pillar" of this "Community" (no pun intended). :cool:

Re: "Admin. Namlik is keen on helping people get themselves heard on the main site." >>> Like myself, I know that you review each and every post in this forum. No, it has not gone unnoticed !!!

Once again, I'm extending an invitation to those who have been posting some really great videos in the Forum Section, and I'm looking forward to seeing the videos posted on the "Main Site"..... You know who you are :)

Ron ---- with regards to my "physical challenges" (my never ending battle with my physical disabilities), all I can say is that I will not give up my dedication to this endeavor. There is a lot going on "behind the scenes" that I cannot comment on at this point, but I refuse to give up or QUIT !!)

I would be remiss at this juncture not to mention TMV's esteemed founder and BEST FRIEND, Robert Lunte, who had given me this wonderful opportunity !!! A Sincere THANK YOU, Robert !!!

Jewels,

I have not forgotten you or your kind words in your email to me..... It was a long, long, weekend and I will reply ASAP :cool:

Warmest Regards,

Adolph

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Ron,

I TRULY appreciate your compliments !!! I cannot THANK YOU enough for your kind words !!! You are TRULY a FRIEND !!!

Not to mention that you are a "Pillar" of this "Community" (no pun intended). :cool:

Re: "Admin. Namlik is keen on helping people get themselves heard on the main site." >>> Like myself, I know that you review each and every post in this forum. No, it has not gone unnoticed !!!

Once again, I'm extending an invitation to those who have been posting some really great videos in the Forum Section, and I'm looking forward to seeing the videos posted on the "Main Site"..... You know who you are :)

Ron ---- with regards to my "physical challenges" (my never ending battle with my physical disabilities), all I can say is that I will not give up my dedication to this endeavor. There is a lot going on "behind the scenes" that I cannot comment on at this point, but I refuse to give up or QUIT !!)

I would be remiss at this juncture not to mention TMV's esteemed founder and BEST FRIEND, Robert Lunte, who had given me this wonderful opportunity !!! A Sincere THANK YOU, Robert !!!

Jewels,

I have not forgotten you or your kind words in your email to me..... It was a long, long, weekend and I will reply ASAP :cool:

Warmest Regards,

Adolph

Thank you! Adolph, Ron is pretty much on top of everything around here. :) I am trying to figure what to do next, as I know people, even I, want to hear something studio quality like. I want to do some Adele songs, and have found backing tracks that I like, but I don't have a microphone. If anyone could set me on the right path as far as getting a mic and whatnot, and sites for back tracking that would be great. I may also check around to see if there are any studios around! :)

Thank you! Adolph, Ron is pretty much on top of everything around here. :) I am trying to figure what to do next, as I know people, even I, want to hear something studio quality like. I want to do some Adele songs, and have found backing tracks that I like, but I don't have a microphone. If anyone could set me on the right path as far as getting a mic and whatnot, and sites for back tracking that would be great. I may also check around to see if there are any studios around! :)

The two most expensive things for you, right now, would be a USB interface and a microphone. I have the Guitarface II USB interface. I think it cost around 35 or 50 dollars. The condenser mic was actually less than that, around $24. The dynamic I have, that was $74.99 on ebay. And the reason I paid that much is because it was new. I wanted one that no one had ever spat on.

Furthermore, I would say that you would only need a vocal coach if you are trying to do a song outside your genre. Someone that could hear you in person and give pointers on how to get this or that sound.

Your style right now is like a torch song, a la Billie Holiday or Sarah Vaughan. With that sense of phrasing and timing, you could be the next k. d. lang, with a voice that is reminiscent of both Martina McBride and Natalie Maines.

So, rather than start all over again and learn how to sing like a tenor in a heavy metal "aria," you would be better with artist developement. There is a section for that, here. Including an excellent thread by Ken Tamplin, founder of the Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. The guy can sing anything. Does he sound exactly like other singers? No. But he sings from his heart and you can see the enjoyment on his face. Anyway, his thread includes all of his business contacts. Who it is you need to contact at various record companies and broadcasting companies. Especially if you want to write your own songs (which you should) and get them synchro-licensed to t.v. shows and movies. Or even a cover song, by you. How about an independent film channel direct movie with that plain ole' gal from Houston, Shelley Duvall remembering her hippie days. And your version of "Me and Bobby McGee" playing over it? It can happen. You have to make it happen.

A lot of music execs still prefer cd - format submissions. They are old school and are afraid of computers. For the more tech savvy, direct them to your profile page here at the Modern Vocalist. It will raise your profile and that of the site, in general. I think the reason a lot of bands and studios out there don't know about our talents is that they are not aware of the site.

That can be changed.

As for me, I am not an expert in anything except smoking a brisket. On that, I do rule the grill. My career has been as an electrician. I have a master license and now, I am an office manager and operations manager for an electrical subcontractor.

But we can all still dream. And Ronnie James Dio would tell you to hold onto your dreams and follow them.

Archived