Can singing be taught by video?

Rate this topic

WebAndNet.com

Just to toss in my two cents:

I had roughly eight months of lessons three to four times a week, for three to four hours a session (yes there were chatchitting breaks involved and not straight through teaching). Honestly, this is what made me GROW vocally. A good teacher can hear through the static of the phone and know what to tell you anyway. We never had an issue, and I made a LOT of improvements and became what I am today because of that time. It's not for everyone, it's strictly dependant on the teacher and the student's way of learning.

As far as the PC goes, you don't suffer audio quality problems nearly as much. The main reason is that MOST teachers have a good condenser microphone, and most students have a $20 PC mic. Most generic PC mics have a range of 20~20k wave response. That's more than enough to use as a teaching aide. The video makes it more like an inperson, live session.

However, there is no replacement for one-on-one in the same room.

Sorry, I should have added this in the other post. Roughly four months after stopping the lessons, my teacher and I went to Nashville to observe Brett Manning. When we weren't watching Brett, we were in the Motel room vocalizing and studying. Amazingly, everything my teacher and I did over the phone before, ended up being exactly as he had wanted it. We did a rather thorough test. There were no errors involved. Through distinct details and fine-tuned sounds, and A LOT of feedback from me, the phone lessons were just as productive. However, the eight months may have turned into five if the lesson were in person. I agree with that. But then again, maybe not.