Which Way Does The Larynx Tilt?

Rate this topic

Matt

People talk about tilting the larynx and that that is what actually happens rather than the larynx actually rising. So does it tip forwards?

Matt: This is not an either-or. The position of the entire larynx in the throat is managed by a multi-muscle suspension. Some 20-odd go generally 'up', and are very important in the swallowing motions. Many fewer, but quite strong muscles go 'down'. The activities of all of these together result in a vertical position. These are the extrinsic laryngeal muscles, which connect it to other (nearby) parts of the body.

Then, the larynx also has muscles which connect its cartileges, called the intrinsic laryngeal muscles, which by their actions, position the cartileges with relation to each other. For example, some abduct (pull away from the center line) the vocal process, opening the glottis. Others adduct (pull to the center line) the vocal process, closing the glottis for a cough or to phonate.

Of special importance to your question is the muscle which arises from the Cricoid Cartilege (the ring at the top of the trachea) with the front of the Thyroid Cartilege (aka, the Adam's apple.). This muscle, the Cricothyroid, pulls the fronts of the Cricoid and the Thyroid together, a motion can be seen as a 'tilting forward' of the Thyroid Cartilege on its hinge plate. which has the effect of stretching and thinning the vocal bands, resulting in a higher fundamental phonated tone.

So, while rising/lowering happen, so does the tilting forward of the Thyroid cartilege. All are motions which have an effect on the sung tone.

If you'd like more on this, I'd be happy to fill in the descriptions.

i get a little confused myself with the different techniques terminology of tilting. CVT and Estill and Roberts stuff seem to mention it to do with larynx height (which in turn affects the different types of sound produced) but as far as i know the anatomical action is of the thyroid cartilage moving forwards and downwards towards the cricoid cartilage by the contraction of the cricothyroid muscles. as far as i know this action can take place with very little movement of the larynx in either a up or down direction.