worth watching

VideoHere

That's almost like saying don't carry chest too high and don't blast in chest voice.

ron, it all depends (my newest thinking) on how you carry it up. i don't look at singing as head and chest anymore.

but you can learn to have thickness and resonance up high. it's all about how you work it out when you get up there.

also, i think the type of voice you have has a lot to with it.

a guy with a voice like yours as long as they don't press too much or get too airy, isn't going to have to worry too much about vocal damage due to improper singing. speaking, well that's another thing.

ron, it all depends (my newest thinking) on how you carry it up. i don't look at singing as head and chest anymore.

but you can learn to have thickness and resonance up high. it's all about how you work it out when you get up there.

also, i think the type of voice you have has a lot to with it.

a guy with a voice like yours as long as they don't press too much or get too airy, isn't going to have to worry too much about vocal damage due to improper singing. speaking, well that's another thing.

I think that was a compliment, Bob. :)

i agree with you, however, voice type and how you approach a particular part of the range and what sound you can manage.

And, to be fair, it's pointed out in the video that nodules can happen to even well-trained singers who are simply working their voice too much, such as incessant touring and gigs. Fatigue is fatigue and once that sets in, a person starts to compensate, usually in the throat. So, nodules don't always come from improper technique. They can simply come from over-use of the voice. You have a job that has you interacting with the public from sunrise to sunset. I have a job that is constant phone calls, meetings, etc, everything involved in "communicating. I absolutely love the clients who prefer to communicate through email. :)

Very interesting.

Does Twang and Cry induce a tilt in the thyroid? Finding it so hard to thin out my cords without being breathy or a falsetto tone.

In my redneck opinion, yes. Twang is considered a formant or something approximating a formant, a resonating configuration. Cry would be a way of avoiding too much of a closed quotient in adduction by tilting the CT, just a smidge. I could be worng, though and I don't follow those terms as much as others. i just wail until I get the dog's attention. :o

ron, i've read so much about this whole thing and it scares the hell out of me. now i have to worry about singing and talking safely, but if sing too safe, i risk singing under pitch, which is a concern.

it's just that i want all the folks to be aware of the potential to get them, and take steps to prevent them.

steam the voice, lots of h2o, watch talking loud for extended periods (worse than yelling).

d, man, you have no patience. learning to thin out the voice and stay connected takes time. give it practise and time.

ron, i've read so much about this whole thing and it scares the hell out of me. now i have to worry about singing and talking safely, but if sing too safe, i risk singing under pitch, which is a concern.

it's just that i want all the folks to be aware of the potential to get them, and take steps to prevent them.

steam the voice, lots of h2o, watch talking loud for extended periods (worse than yelling).

d, man, you have no patience. learning to thin out the voice and stay connected takes time. give it practise and time.

This post and this whole thread should be a sticky, if possible.

Yeah I know but I pick up things really easy, given the correct technique. I taught myself to play keyboard/piano, I can pick pitches out easily enough.

I'm the only person that my vocal coach is teaching that can hiss for 45 seconds and up. I just feel like I'm not heading in the right direction with moving up the scale. I just need that little thing to click. I need to learn how to keep the volume down with out engaging the outer muscles and squeezing, which is very hard. I can easily do high notes (in a way), if we could skype I could show you what I could do, I duno.

i read your posts. i know you are trying real hard. but some skillsets and "consistent" competencies are going to be very slow to develop.

you cannot hasten your progress.

the voice won't let you. the voice is basically saying to you "allow me to function in the natural way i'm supposed to."

but the problem is we don't "allow" it to happen. all this other stuff comes into play...unrequired manipulations, tension, pushing...

all of this can really hold back progress.

if you learn to relax, and just stay with it, you will get there. believe me. i have seen it happen. i have felt it happen. i am so much further ahead than when i started almost 2 years ago.

and the cool thing is while you're working on something that really means something to you, other ancillary improvements start to happen!!!

i have a much less forced voice than i had before, and notes i used to struggle to even think of hitting i can hit with 1/3 the effort.

just keep working at it. don't strain, don't force anything!

Very interesting, informative and SCAREY! It makes you wonder though. For many younger folks, the internet is like a god. We are in the information age and that can be a very good thing. I have learned a lot about a great deal of things I used to have to scrape up books for years ago.

But at the same time too much information can be bad. We end up becoming germaphobes, changing our diets every few months, worrying about every little ache and pain etc. Now, I am worried about how I speak!! Meanwhile Frank Sinatra smoked! :/

i read your posts. i know you are trying real hard. but some skillsets and "consistent" competencies are going to be very slow to develop.

you cannot hasten your progress.

the voice won't let you. the voice is basically saying to you "allow me to function in the natural way i'm supposed to."

but the problem is we don't "allow" it to happen. all this other stuff comes into play...unrequired manipulations, tension, pushing...

all of this can really hold back progress.

if you learn to relax, and just stay with it, you will get there. believe me. i have seen it happen. i have felt it happen. i am so much further ahead than when i started almost 2 years ago.

and the cool thing is while you're working on something that really means something to you, other ancillary improvements start to happen!!!

i have a much less forced voice than i had before, and notes i used to struggle to even think of hitting i can hit with 1/3 the effort.

just keep working at it. don't strain, don't force anything!

Yeah I understand but I know I can do it. I just find it hard to not push and still be connected. I found out my voice has a natural hold and letting go but keeping connected is just hard. Adding a cry is like grabbing a note with 2 hands for me. Lowering the volume is hard for as well. Trying to find the right information on letting go of the volume and keeping connected is hard. I tried to do the Vocal Power exercises of adding the cry and that just brings about unnecessary distortion that really hurts. I try to do Rob's sirens with the twang etc and every time I get to F4 the volume picks up, the tension kicks in and there's no head tone what so ever. I know repetition would probably help but why would you keep grinding the gears if it's getting you nowhere, so then I stop and don't progress.

I also cannot sing head voice that well without it being breathy and falsetto-ish so I stay away and bring up chest.

suit youself d.

i'm just trying to get you to realize it will not come overnight. lowering volume (the decrescendo) is one of the hardest things to do.

it sounds to me like one of your main goals should be relaxing the jaw, throat, and all and learning to support the tone.

D -

All the info you'll need is on this thread. There's not much more anyone can say to help you with the issue you're facing - unless its a face to face session or a Skype call.

Getting the head tones sorted and connected with chest is something that takes a long, long time. You will notice gradual improvements every few weeks, but like Bob said, it Will NOT happen overnight.. That's the sad truth, but also makes the learning process all the more enjoyable.. coz the day it 'clicks', you'll amaze yourself.

cheers

D -

All the info you'll need is on this thread. There's not much more anyone can say to help you with the issue you're facing - unless its a face to face session or a Skype call.

Getting the head tones sorted and connected with chest is something that takes a long, long time. You will notice gradual improvements every few weeks, but like Bob said, it Will NOT happen overnight.. That's the sad truth, but also makes the learning process all the more enjoyable.. coz the day it 'clicks', you'll amaze yourself.

cheers

exactly! you have to be patient. you're basically training and conditioning...just like an athlete.

Had a singing lesson today which has opened unusual sensations. Whilst singing Lionel Richie's Hello I found Hello to be a hard word to sing and open up on. So he got me feel the sound resonate at the back of my throat and relax my jaw.

I felt the sound resonate just on the soft palate. It feels only slightly tense under my chin, but I'm also using my lower abs as well as a suspended chest for support. My tone feels a lot more lighter and easier to sing. I still need to work with it more to grind it in, but is that where I should be feeling the sound? It also feels a little easier when placed there to ease the volume and not shout.

Is the sound as I go higher meant to shift to the soft palate? It seems like I'm not pushing anymore and letting it slide up.

Really hard to explain the sensation but it feels right. Like Im not pushing with my neck etc. If I can feel the sensation tomorrow Ill post a clip.

possibly, but not always...it depends on several factors such as the vowel, the note, the genre, etc.

but it's progress for sure when you can learn to open up the throat and relax the constrictors.

remember, the vocal folds main function is to regulate pitch. they need freedom to do what they need to do to phonate.

think of the throat as passive, uninvolved for singing, and leave yourself a clear path for the sound to exit out of the mouth without any obstruction (like the tongue).

Is the sound as I go higher meant to shift to the soft palate? It seems like I'm not pushing anymore and letting it slide up.

Really hard to explain the sensation but it feels right. Like Im not pushing with my neck etc. If I can feel the sensation tomorrow Ill post a clip.

To me, that is the explanation, exactly. Let the note ascend to and above the soft palate. There should be no pushing in the neck or throat.

Mantra #1; nothing in the throat, ever.

Archived