Can you sing anything?

I remember the short-lived Gaines phase. I totally applauded Garth's move to do this. Total artistic integrity and true self-expression. And the audience that bought "Friends in Low Places" didn't identify with this R & B rock side to Garth's ability.

It really depends on personal perspective. I have sang many different styles, as well. In fact, I went the other direction and sang a country song. And got one comment (thankfully a good review.)

I sang a pop blues song by the J. Geils Band. Not one single comment. Not good, bad, just indifferent. I sang a calypso song, same result, near as I can remember.

So, while we're praising the ability to stretch in different styles, we should supporteach others' ventures into other styles.

And maybe, just once in a while, support when someone does some song in a style different than the original. I think of Judas Priest's cover of "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry. For the longest time, you couldn't find it anywhere. I had a copy of it from a friend who did the clean-up for the birthday party of Atlantic Records. It was never released on an album and was a song from the live set. It was a demo record.

So, if one of us does like Dolly Parton and make a bluegrass version of some rock song, can we get a decent review of the effort instead of instruction on how to sound just like the original singer?

To quote Peter O'Toole from "The Man of LaMancha," "To dream the impossible dream ..."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived