Phlegm on the higher notes

In the past two weeks I have developed a phlegm problem on my vocal chords. I was wondering if allergies might be the problem. It seems to happen on higher notes and at times modulation. Today I was singing Whiter Shade of Pale and the part where it says " And so it was, that later as the miller told his tale." If you're familiar with the song, the word was is the high note. When I hit that note my vocal chords begin to drown in a sea of phlegm. It has happened on Let it Be as well as other tunes. Very much on "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"

When not singing I seem to have a bit more Phlegm than usual, nothing over the top but it pops up more when I sing. It has actually been making difficult to sing lately because my voice disappears on certain notes. Then I become overly conscious of it. Should I not sing until this clears up? Any home remedies. I've been drinking more water.

Tommy

Wow we have a lot in common. Those are all songs I like to practice also. Maybe it's a music era type thing.. We are about the same age.. I'm 55.

Drinking lots of water throughout the day is always a good thing. It helps to thin out the mucus as well as hydrate the cords which gives you more protection.

If you are stressing your folds too much, that can cause excess phlegm. If you think that is what is causing it and not a mild cold or allergies, you may want to pay close attention to anything your are doing to your folds. Such as pressed phonation or being too breathy.

Folds? I don't know what that means :/ I'm wondering if it's allergies of some sort. I'll have to see what the next couple of weeks holds. I didn't have this problem (same songs) a few weeks ago or before that. Yea, I'm 55 also.

Thanks

Sorry, vocal cords and vocal folds are the same thing.:lol: They actually really are folds that can shut closed like a curtain.

Lots of water is always a good idea and if the phlegm isn't being caused by strain on the cords, it shouldn't hurt to continue practicing.

Well, you're right. I guess I don't know. I know that I have what feels like phlegm in my "throat" (?) when I'm singing the last couple of weeks. It could be mucus I suppose but I wouldn't know the difference. I said vocal chords but it could be just the throat I suppose, now that you mention it. But I never would have thought of that until you mentioned it. I mean I didn't know there was a difference!

But then again, that's why I'm asking. :)

I don't think it's acid reflux. I don't usually have any problems with that.

Thanks

Tommy

Archived