help with holding out this kind of note

Rate this topic

VideoHere

may ask you folks all for some help with a vocal weakness of mine. i have trouble with exactly what you see here at minute at 4:08..the held out "alive." can you please recommend some things to help me with this issue. much thanks and apprecaition in advance. bob

may ask you folks all for some help with a vocal weakness of mine. i have trouble with exactly what you see here at minute at 4:08..the held out "alive." can you please recommend some things to help me with this issue. much thanks and apprecaition in advance. bob

VIDEOHERE: When I clicked the link, I thought it would be your singing. How disappointing to hear it was just Marc Anthony. :D

So, what are you asking... how to not have a weak tone on that note? Listen to Marc doing it... he chooses his vowel color to get good resonance consistent with his overall vocal approach. In his case, he has made the vowel very close to the vowel 'ah', as in the word 'cat', which is fairly bright.

Also, notice that the tone is vibrant... it has vibrato. Does yours?

no steve,

one of my weaknesses i need to work on, is holding out a softly sung note. what can i do to increase the length i can sing a softly sung passage?

i just happened to send this as it's a perfect example of what i need to learn. btw, i sent you me singing percy faith, (you called a robust tenor) and i'm dropping in little vocal snippets here and there.

thanks again for any help singing long notes softly.

no steve,

one of my weaknesses i need to work on, is holding out a softly sung note. what can i do to increase the length i can sing a softly sung passage?

i just happened to send this as it's a perfect example of what i need to learn. btw, i sent you me singing percy faith, (you called a robust tenor) and i'm dropping in little vocal snippets here and there.

thanks again for any help singing long notes softly.

VIDEO: Well, the body learns by doing. In this case, getting it to turn all the air into sound is the key skill.

There are several classic exercises. One of the very oldest is the 'soft, steady hiss'. Take in a little breath (not much), and say the 's' consonant very softly and steadily for 5 seconds, using a clock or watch. Repeat that 5 times. Increase the time by 5 seconds, and repeat the exercise. If you have any air left over at the end of the time, you have inhaled more than you need :-)

When you get to where you can do about 20 seconds of hissing no problem, go back and turn the 's' into a very soft, clear , steady Z. Repeat with the increasing amounts of time.

Be patient if you cannot do this for 20 seconds. It will take some getting used to. However, with daily practice, you should quite readily get to the point where you can Z for 20 seconds. Once you are there, then sing vowels at that same energy level.