singers then and now

Rate this topic

VideoHere

Hello, Daug. I am not really sure what you mean by "security code"? Iron Maiden has always been very professional in everything they do and Iron Maiden has always been Steve Harris´band and he has been very strict about that, if anyone couldn´t perform at their best, they got fired. And that happened to Clive Burr and Paul Dianno. They couldn´t handle all the touring together with all the drugs and the partying. As far as i know there were never any problem with Bruce Dickinson´s proffessionalism until he got another interest in music taste. Bruce wasn´t a "crazy" drunk.

Maybe it just was that he wasn´t 100 % certain that he could pull it off live at that time ( is that what you mean, Daug, when you mention "security code?) but i have heard other impressive live performances from that era so i find that a little strange. The other possibility is that they were just experimenting and wanted to try another version of the chorus.

PS That was a very bad performance from Bruce - but he is just a human being - everyone has the right to have a bad day.

From what I understood from interviews, Bruce replace Paul because Paul was a punk rock singer and so his tonality and style didn't really gel with the neo-classical shredding of IM. And Bruce was and is the technically better singer with a style and flair that totally matches the IM sound.

But I do agree, Bruce is not one to overindulge in anything, save physical fitness. Primarily, fencing. And, he has a day job, which also cuts down on party time. I think the strongest thing he has is a glass of wine with dinner. His day job is being a commercial jet pilot for Australian Airways. He had to use his vacation time to fly Ed Force One on the "Somewhere Back in Time" tour.

And yes, even the ever-present trooper can have an off-day.

From what I understood from interviews, Bruce replace Paul because Paul was a punk rock singer and so his tonality and style didn't really gel with the neo-classical shredding of IM. And Bruce was and is the technically better singer with a style and flair that totally matches the IM sound.

But I do agree, Bruce is not one to overindulge in anything, save physical fitness. Primarily, fencing. And, he has a day job, which also cuts down on party time. I think the strongest thing he has is a glass of wine with dinner. His day job is being a commercial jet pilot for Australian Airways. He had to use his vacation time to fly Ed Force One on the "Somewhere Back in Time" tour.

And yes, even the ever-present trooper can have an off-day.

That was the official statement to be kind to Paul. In their biographic book Steve reveals that they were tired of two things about Paul. One thing was that Paul often acted a little strange before shows, he often felt bad and had excuses for not being able to perform. That was a way to let go of the burden so that he could have something to blame on if he didn´t perform well Steve thought. The other thing was that his voice got worn out fast when they were touring, propably because he wasn´t taking care of himself - too much drugs and too little sleep. So in a way It seems that Paul knew that his voice wasn´t in top shape that´s why he blamed on all kinds of things, of course it was never due to a lack of sleep or that he drank too much or was using too much drugs. Oficially they always said that there was a difference in artistic choice when members left Iron Maiden. Steve Harris is a very nice guy, he never wanted to make former members look bad.

Thanks for enlightening me, Olem. I wish the research staff at "Behind the Music" had done more homework.

Paul had legal problems, recently, too. Something about fraud.

Of course, I am reminded of Eddie Van Halen's official story, always to eclipse the words of David Lee Roth, and even Sammy Hagar, back in the day. The real troublemaker in that band is Alex Van Halen. He knows his brother's unstable state so he would whisper things to one person and then something else to another and then stand back and watch the sparks fly.

They're on tour again. Line-up is David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, and Wolfgang Van Halen (Eddie's son, playing bass.)

And former VH players Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar are with Joe Satriani and Chad Smith in Chickenfoot.

And I digress, sorry. Head full of trivia, some of it misinformed.

• 2 weeks later...

The sad thing about the VH thing is that, in my opinion, Michael Anthony was fired needlessly. He was and is as reliable a player as you can find. I think Eddie was just looking for an excuse to put his son in the band. Reason for firing? Because Michael was working with the members of Chickenfoot as a side project due to the fact the VH was sitting on their butts not doing anything. However, you will never hear Michael say anything negative about VH. Very classy guy, he is.

The sad thing about the VH thing is that, in my opinion, Michael Anthony was fired needlessly. He was and is as reliable a player as you can find. I think Eddie was just looking for an excuse to put his son in the band. Reason for firing? Because Michael was working with the members of Chickenfoot as a side project due to the fact the VH was sitting on their butts not doing anything. However, you will never hear Michael say anything negative about VH. Very classy guy, he is.

Word up, bro. I think you hit that nail squarely on the head. And it's not the first time, either. Sammy and Dave found out they were no longer in the band when they showed up at the next expected meeting.

Ain't none of them can sing like Michael Anthony, so, I don't know what they do about backing vocals and chorus harmonies.

Put a flanger or chorus on Dave's mic?

• 1 year later...

Brian Wilson has maintained his voice pretty well.

Ya think, maybe not pulling chest too often in his career has something to do with it? ;)

Then:

Now:

Noticed how he still tries to stay totally relaxed even in his older years.