BEGINNER (SORTA) NEEDS HONEST HELP AND FEEDBACK! SVP!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Good. You need to do that for a month or two. after a while you'll understand how it feels better and better. As soon as you need to flex anything in your throat doing that, you're doing it wrong. Do that around your bridge problem area and your chords will begin to learn to stay closed through the break and you'll work that yodel wobble away. You started straining as you went up a little, but you'll learn to not do that after a while. Try to not let it flip over to falsetto, theres a sort of experience of a slightly different pressure that you'll feel and hear when you keep the chords together, even if it sounds roughly like a falsetto, but with a bite, or cut to it. Its better to lower the volume than raise it when you get into a difficult, higher area.

Yeah, in the beginning. Youre not going to learn to sing in one conversation on the internet ;)

You do that regularly though, and check back to the brett manning clip now and then to make sure you're not straying away from the path and each day you'll understand it better and get better at it. Probably creak in a low comfortable range most of the exercise before trying to squeak very softly upwards.

Well if I do it relaxed it just flips right from chest to head, when i add the fry on it I just end up pulling up my chest through the bridge all the way to Bb then flips :/

I'm trying to say sentences higher by semitones up from my usual D to Middle C range, but once I hit Middle C it becomes impossible to speak normally and it just makes me sound nasally and weird and tense.

This is me trying to sing F,F# above middle C.

The only thing that sounds decent are the belts because I have no mixed register, it's all chest.

http://www.speedyshare.com/865975594.html

like this?

http://www.speedyshare.com/319690895.html

It really doesn't help me sing in the break though. I can get through the break, but if I sang anything around E to Bb above middle C, it would sound thin or just nasally and thin. I want it to SOUND like chest, pretty much like every pop or rock vocalist ever.

Yeah i know the feeling, but this is a start towards that goal, often if you dont have it already it will take time to build a chesty range and have control over it. I think you sound tons better in that clip when you try doing it twanged and it's a good try. Practice that more and you will find your voice connect alot more it takes time

It WILL help you sing in the break if you dont give up and keep at it. Strive to get that siren less and less forced. Instead of increasing volume and muscling your way up, lower your volume when you feel you're starting to strain too much. You want to practice so that you can creak even at the higher end of the siren. I agree with Jens, you're already getting closer, but I can hear you chords are too far away from each other which gives your siren a slight woofy sound, rather than a creaky, whiny, buzzing tight closure. Its the same for everyone, its a typical problem, we all have to go through this stage, even though where you are now it seems really strange that these exercises will help you.

The thing with twang is that if you have fullcontrol over it, it wíll give you so much freedom and choice. Almost all naturalsinger who's voices seams to go on forever have tons of twang on and they are realy comfortable in those configurations. Theirvoices naturaly loses weight and it doesnt feel strange in their voices, as opposed to my voice who always have wanted to pull up the vocalweight ive had in my lowerregister.