breathing

Rate this topic

chuy67

Learning to let the adams apple just dangle freely. The muscles on the side of your neck just hanging down loosely. The muscles by your collarbones too. Every muscle you can see or feel inside or outside just hangs down relaxed and loose. Your stomach and lower back muscles control a small even flow of air from the diaphragm by stretching and pulling the diaphragm downwards to allow it to fill from the bottom. The further down you can "ground" your breath, the more you can relax everything in the throat, neck, shoulders and chest and just let it all hang loose. You can experience grounding it all the way down to tightening the sphincter muscle. From there, you either use the tension to hold back the breath to a steady, small stream and sort of halfway through letting the air out, you can start to do the opposite, by gently pushing the last air out, hence maintaining a steady stream all the way.

Inside your throat is a valve like a balloon. If you let a balloon valve hang loose when you expel the air, you won't get much tone. You'll get falsetto, for example. If you pull the valve a little longer and tighter so the lips start buzzing against each other, you'll get a tone. The longer you pull it, the higher the pitch of the tone.

are there any particular exercises to help me with this? also i tend to feel tension on the muscles in the Trapezius and sternocleidomastoideus muscles. Im sorry for the complex terminology it's the only way I could properly express which muscles are being used. Also this tension tends to happen a lot when doing breathing stuff. I have a strong feeling its from not breathing right.

If you try to take a fairly deep breath in front of the mirror to make sure you're not cheating, and don't allow your shoulders or chest to bulge upward, you'll find that you'll get stuck. The only other place all that air can go, is if you push your stomach muscles downwards thus pulling and stretching down your diaphragm and lungs. It helps to also try to allow your lower sides and back muscles to expand too.

One way I think is good to get those muscles running is to sit on a chair with with my forehead against a table or desk and breathe in deeply and sssssssssssssss out 10 times. Sitting like that makes it easier to expand the whole torso and relax the chest and shoulders.

I'm so sorry, but I still don't get this. I don't get the point of if i'm supposed to push out the air myself or if it just comes out. Here is what I do. First I take a breath and allow my torso area to expand, imagine a tube around your torso being inflated, well that's how I breath. Then when I exhale I tighten up my abdomen muscles and just produce the sounds with my vocal cords. Finally I just let the air run through them and out my mouth. Also I just thought of this when i'm singing in chest voice, should I let the air come out of my mouth and nose? Also does the same apply for head voice and the passagio notes?

Thank you so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Sounds good to me. You actually mainly want to be using the muscles to hold BACK the breath (without doing that with your neck muscles) to just a tiny stream through the vocal chords. There are lots of exercises where you do stuff like blow a very small stream of air at a candle just in front of your lips without making the flame flicker.

Im pretty sure I got it now. I've been practicing pretty much all day and came down to the conclusion that the release air should be just like when one breathes, except you have the muscles to tighten up. Thank you very much for all your help