Is this Falsetto or High Yelling?

Rate this topic

Overdrive

The chorus of this song has Craig Owens singing especially high and passionately to me. I really like the sound of it and I want to learn to do it. I claim that he is simply yelling really high and the strain is making it sound like that (thin?). However I asked a few people and they say he uses falsetto. How? If he is using falsetto why does it sound so good?

I would say that is full voice: a fairly strained and thin head voice. The mix of the recording thins it even further. To say that he is yelling really high is misleading, you won't ever be able to sing that high by "just yelling" unless you have a very high voice (for a male). He is yelling, and straining, but he is not "pulling chest" to do it. He is using a fairly advanced technique to reach those notes.

a lot a skill is needed to sing like that, or physiological endowment as a head start.

that is head voice with a lot of support and control, but always look to see if you can find a live recording. that's closest to the real thing.

Sounds like a little unintentional hum/feedback at the beginning in a couple of spots. (?) But it kind of works. This makes me totally hold my breath. I also vote that there's some auto tune. Part of what the singer is doing is supported -- in a way that I don't prefer. There are a couple of spots where the voice is more yell than supported falsetto. He's going for that thin sound. I feel the strain. But some people have cords of steel. The thin sound does keep the mix clean sounding. (I'm weighing and balancing, here.) This is a high voice to begin with, not another baritone trying to produce this sound. That's why the upper range can still sound strong and not like a breathy falsetto. My two cents.