LAYNE STALEY Bb above Middle C

Rate this topic

xolin

Hey guys,

I was wondering what kind of technique Layne is using. It seems like he's just pulling up a lot, but is comfortable and warmed up enough in studio to do this.

Is he in mix?

Let me know

Chorus of Man In The Box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFWkPVHKwCY

Chorus of Rooster (around 3:00):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpH5i3xD7tA

Ab in Rain when I die (1:45ish)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMm0bpbOOkU

Here's Man In The Box with the new singer who has better technique. How is he doing it so well??

I should probably say the point is that I can't hit those notes without wrecking myself. I can sing them in head voice with terrible open cords or sometimes pulling up, but when singing the song usually the transition from low verses to a high G# or something will wreck me. Even F#

xolin,

He is only on a Bb(Man in Box.) You have some options in that range. Nice open vowel. I would work on getting a clean sound first...add distortion later. Maybe try "setting up" for the note with an "mmmmaaaayy."

Something like this:

http://www.box.net/shared/yt0s0cm98l

I would try to keep the "mm" VERY FORWARD(nose/mask) area. Also, DO NOT grip in the throat(must keep it relaxed.) I love doing this as a warm-up.

Well I can sing it with the "f" but it's just total head voice and sounds bad. Staley makes it sound like he's just saying it normally but it happens to be at Bb. And if you listen to the William DuVall version that I linked, he sings it with crazy tone that's not thin at all.

And I tried those fry and siren things, but they dont translate into anything but just doing vocal fry at higher pitches it seems :/

Im still just flipping where the breaks are when doing them.

Man, youre in too much of a hurry. You have to do that for weeks or months...or for ever

Well, youre not doing them correctly, thats the prob. You need to train your muscles to get better chord closure. Its like blowing a note over a bottle neck. Right now you're whacking out loads of air down the hole instead of carefully across and getting worn out producing a falestto sound that way. Your sirens are forced and you dont go into head voice, you go into falsetto. You have to learn to sort of squeak your voice from just a small spot in your chords when you start to get into headvoice. Maybe try one of the tutors here.

A good example of this creaking squeaking stuff is steve tyler:

He's not really screaming, you can hear hes really sort of creaking or squeaking his voice up there. Or rather, since he's creaking, he can afford to half scream as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qRTu5I2loY&feature=channel

Note in particular 1:48 1:49 where you really can hear he's just creaking

You are trying to hard, take it slow it will take time there's loads of things to take into consideration, an example. How old are you? How long have youve been singing?

This is like benchpressing, when you startout you cant expekt to lift 120 kg

even after a year if your a normalbuilt guy. Sure there will be bigger guys who can lift 120 kg right away, but that doesnt mean you wont be able to do it just that it will take time for you to get to the same standard.

but you are saying "But im trying to lift the weights, im pulling it up with my muscles why cant i do it?"

So we are giving you tips like " Try doing this upperbodymachine and then you can strengthen and lift those 120 kg"

" Man i can already do the upperbodymachine and i still cant lift 120kg"... and so on take it chill stuff's wont magicaly come overnight

I agree with Jens. It WILL take time.

I do wonder if you're confusing "pulling chest" with actually singing heavy. Again...this is where I "differ" from SS. Depending on the vowel...when you are in that area of the voice, there are loud coordinations that you can use(which the person you are referring to IS USING) that will not fall into a typical SS/SLS ideal.

You can certainly sing it from a "speech level" or you can choose to sing it heavier. Either one is safe and effective.

I agree totally with Matt regarding the 'bottle' concept. I have found it to be great imagery, especially in aiding the soft palate to raise and the abdominal muscles to kick in. For me, the higher the note, the lower the bottle goes while still imaging blowing over it. Eventually, the bottle ends up going behind me to the lower back.

And xolin, just to add to what everyone else has been saying, it's hard to get the hang of these things without someone hearing you in real-time and showing you where you've gone wrong. I recommend trying to find a good teacher who can demonstrate the kinds of coordinations you want up there, and can teach you how to do them yourself.

Josh

Trust me, these guys are right! I used to perform that song and always used to blow my voice out singing the high parts. Now I can sing it easily by using my head voice and proper closure of the vocal folds. I'm getting to the point now where I'm ready to start adding grit to that head voice. The muscles will get stronger and you won't have the weakness that you currently have when you sing the high parts. Some great exercises are the ones where you start a note in full falsetto and then change it into head voice with closure and then transition back into falsetto.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the advice.

I did have a couple of sessions with the Toronto SLS instructor, but i didn't even attempt that song back then.

I'm just gonna go slowly at it with exercises and stick to songs in my chest for now (i play almost all originals) until I can actually do it properly.