warm down excersises

Rate this topic

CentreOfTheUniverse

most singers know the importance of warming up before singing but less so about warming down. admittedly warming down is not something that i do absolutely every time i sing or vocalize but it is a good thing to get into the habit of and is particularly useful/important if you have overdone it a little and pushed your voice (easily done during a rehearsal or live show with a loud band). some excersises i use are infact very similar to some of the ones i use for warming up such as lip bubbles and tongue rolls on simple scales and sirens (though generally never going to the limit of my upper range). i also sometimes use gentle humming and and OOOs (as in FOOD) with a slightly lowered larynx on simple scales and sirens.

does anyone else have any other useful warm down excersises that they could share?

cheers

Yes Centre...I do similar to you but also soft sighs and groans (no dirty comments please!) Just gentle ahs and low uuhs. Relax the body too with limp arms and shake the legs a little and enjoy a warm drink! It is very important to warm down or cool down. You have built up a lot of heat energy singing and you will be on a high with adrenaline which affects your vocal folds and all muscles of your body. So yes.....cool down :cool:h

When I was visiting with Dr. Ingo Titze at the University of Iowa this summer, we were discussing how some of the best warmups make for excellent recovery if one has overdone it in a rehearsal or performance set. He especially likes the 'singing through a soda straw' exercise, though any of the semi-occluded consonants (m, n, V, Z...) will work very well, too.

yeah a good dose of silence is always a good one when youve over done it a little. i find that sometimes if you can feel you may be starting to do something wrong in the midst of singing even a little 30 second-1 min rest can give you enough time to re-co-ordinate (ah there is a purpose for solo´s afterall :P)

• 2 weeks later...

I second what Elrathion posted. Just talking can be a warm down. I myself yell and scream and all kinds of things all the time. I talk all day in a very "brassy" and full manner. Then again, I speak like I sing and it's not an issue. You have to listen to your body to know what it needs.

• 4 weeks later...

After night of loud, smokey club singing and talking, or full day at the studio...I usually sing softly and do lip bubbles and tongue rrr's (like a german would say rrrrright!)...some nnnnnnnn's (lightly pressing tongue to roof of mouth while singing/holding an "n" feeling the resonation in your nose)....some 'sssssssssss's.....basically the same as my warm up, minues the heavy scales...and not as loud. Extra water! :)