First Time Recording Lead Vocals, Please Be Honest!

Rate this topic

Hi all. Here's a link to one of Coldplay's songs, The Scientist. There's no guitars on this yet and drums/bass are filled in by the keyboard. There's also no backing vocals yet so it's a pretty bare track.

*UPDATE* Backing vocals added on 04/04/12.

The vocals have a bit of reverb on them and nothing else. They've been recorded through a Roland KC-350 keyboard amplifier as opposed to a proper PA mixer desk.

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback on how I can improve to be honest.

Here's the link - http://www.freezeplay.co.uk/The%20Scientist.mp3

Thanks in advance for all the comments.

One of my favorate Coldplay songs! Love it. I have the Karaoke version if you want it, though I think it may a half step higher. Practice singing words without "popping" the mic - if you hear that "pop", then you are over enounciating them (consanants) - like words what begin with "D" or "P" or "B" for instance. Your falsetto tone got better towards the middle and end which leads me to believe that you might not have warmed up properly before singing this song. And, this song may sound easy, but it isn't! It is full of emotion. Some off key notes here and there - nothing horrible that can't be fixed. I was actually going to give this song a try. If you want my Karaoke version, email me at keith_goehner@yahoo.com and I'll send it to ya. Overall, you did a pretty decent job covering it.

Thanks. It's actually the first time I've recorded myself on vocals full stop and it's a great learning exercise. I think the first half of the song before the drums and bass kick in needs a bit more support, I was happier with the second half of the song to be honest.

You're spot on about not warming up, I did it first thing this morning.

Really useful info about the popping noises, I wondered what they were. I'm going to try another take on Wednesday but I'll give a lot more thought to warming up my voice properly first!

Thankd s lot for your feedback.

Thanks. It's actually the first time I've recorded myself on vocals full stop and it's a great learning exercise. I think the first half of the song before the drums and bass kick in needs a bit more support, I was happier with the second half of the song to be honest.

You're spot on about not warming up, I did it first thing this morning.

Really useful info about the popping noises, I wondered what they were. I'm going to try another take on Wednesday but I'll give a lot more thought to warming up my voice properly first!

Thankd s lot for your feedback.

You can find some highly beneficial warm ups if you search youTube for them. I use lip bubbles like I own them lol. I do it when I read, in the shower, while I drive.. I do 5 tone scales and arrpeggios with them. Always warm up before singing. Also, try to record it next time after you have been awake and moving around. I do not know the specifics, but I kinda remember someone saying our vocal cords may swell at night - that could be wrong, but I can't sing to save my life when I first wake up. Takes me a few hours to get my voice to work lol.

~Keith

I would think warming up in the morning is especially important. Later in the day, at least you've probably been talking by that point. In the morning? Nada for the last 8 hours. More important, in my mind, is water! If you've been sleeping for 7 or 8 hours, and especially if you breath through your mouth all night, those folds must be dry as toast.

Tommy

Hi Keith and others. I took your advice and warmed up a bit before having a second bash at it. Same link just a different recording. Also noticed I'm missing a bit of strings in the backing track at the end but hey, that's something to sort once I get the vocals sounding nice.

Loved your version of the song too mate, very soft which is what it needs I think.