Can someone shed some light on teqnique here?

Rate this topic

onprcntr

He hits some real high ones here too. I'm really studying these for details on how he can go from full voice to head voice so smoothly (most of the time, other times not so much). Or is he just bringing a supported head voice way down?

I am thinking I'm on the right track then. I would never have a practical need for this in my current band but I feel like if I can do this I can do anything! I need to get some CVT literature. Thanks for the input guys.

This is the last one I promise. In this one he starts lower and goes back to my question is he singing the lower parts in the same head voice he is singing the high notes or is transitioning from one register to another. If I sing this all in head the low parts are weak but the highs are good. If I do it the way I think he is doing it my transition from lower to higher is not great. The lower parts sound better that way but I can't find my way up to the high notes without a noticeable shift. I have the same question about the last verse in "patience" He really seems like he is transitioning but is just way way better than me at it

speaking to just the vocal transitions low to high and high to low (not referring to the twang, the overdubs, and all the studio effects) is the ability to blend varying percentages of chest and head voice "musculature" along with appropraite vowel shading per his particular voice.

at times he's holding on to more chest than head at other times allowing release into larger percentages of head

(t/a, c/t muscle development, coordination and dexterity.)

"at times he's holding on to more chest than head at other times allowing release into larger percentages of head"

That's what I thought was happening. It is very hard for me to do what he is doing effectively. This is where I need the most work then. What can I do to work on that as far as exercise? I have taken a lot of advice I've gotten here and my range has improved as well as my power in head voice. I need to get that blend between chest and head though. I feel like my head voice and chest voice are developing independently but I want to be able to bring them together like that. What can I do so it feels like a "release" into head voice? BTW Thanks for the input.

pro-caliber vocals require it. the "mix" is the "performing" voice.

you know what it's going to take.....consistent, dilligent, practise...there's just no way around it, preferrably with a teacher.

there are a lot of exercises you can do, but most important when it comes to singing in a mixed voice you have to learn to support appropriately.

you have to develop the head and chest voice musculatures, then learn to integrate them.

are you in a routine of exercising the voice?

I run through different vowels sounds in ascending and descending scales. I started running scales through a straw. I hate doing sirens though I try them or just do a lot of noise making going between both registers. I also never do anything that causes discomfort. I want it to feel good when I sing. I do this on the way to work at lunch and on the way home and before rehearsal and gigs. I am remodeling my house and unfortunately the studio has been knocked down in priority by the boss. but occasionally I get some time at home to practice.

Yea I can agree on that. I have noticed that with working my biceps and seeing results makes me work that much harder. I had a good rehearsal last night and feel more than ever I'm on the right track so this weekend I am going to start on my singing corner so I can get this dialed in.

maybe i didn't explain that right. using weight lifting as an analogy, you need to work both triceps and biceps to build your arms. same with the voice.....you need to cover both head voice and chest voice musculature.

I know what you meant I just also lift weights and feeling a difference is a real motivator. So its the same way with my voice. When I know what I am doing is working I don't want to stop. I'm going to try to get my practice area set back up and really get down to it. I can bs my way through some stuff and get a few compliments but I want move to a level above nightclub singer.

At least you are at the level of nightclub singer.

In your other thread, I liked your performance of the trooper because you did it live, in a small night club with a dinky stage and a really loud band. That has challenges different than recording in one's bedroom or study at home with a backing track where you can control the volume.

I really appreciate the input. It's been quite a challenge putting down the guitar and getting up front like this. This forum has been really helpful in so many ways. Just knowing that other people are in the same boat is helpful. I have seen here and relate to how you can warm up and sound and feel killer then get to practice or a show and it falls apart and you're right back into bad habits the first song.