Would like some critique on my heavy metal voice

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi, everybody!

I love to sing heavy metal songs but i find it very difficult. I read of something called the Pharyngeal voice and started to practise this type of voice from an old Judas Priest song called "Painkiller". I hope to get some kind of feedback from anyone who is into this kind of music and i hope the music isn't devouring my voice too much.

I think that when i sing higher notes i´ll mostly get a weak falsetto voice making it sounds ridiculous. And i wonder: how could you transform a raspy chest voice up into your head voice without making your voice sound weak. I say raspy [googlevid][/googlevid]because i guess that is the effect most heavy metal singers use to make their voice sound more powerful. One of my favourite singers is James Labrie and i admire his way of kind of mixing his head with his chest when he sings high notes. How exactly do you do that when you go into your higher notes. i read that you could use something called the "Power-push" and also expand your ribs to get a more chesty sound but that didn't help for me, at least not yet, maybe i´ll have to practise more. I guess i´ll have to take singin lessons to be able to understand this things better but i don´t know of any teacher in my surroundings that could teach this kind of stuff (I live in the south of sweden).

well on that painkiller clip you need alot more pharyngealvoice/twang to get that edge you want to the sound for a song like that. I used to have the same problem as you until I practised the pharyngeal, it realy helps.

Du kan ju adda mig: jens_86_johansson@hotmail.com

om du vill ha ngn övning eller nått :)