Beginner who needs feedback

Rate this topic

Hi guys,

I have been taking singing lessons for half a year now and i have also been practicing exercises using the videos available on youtube. Lately, i have been trying to find my mixed voice and i have noticed that i can sing comfortably in my mixed voice when i am singing a song originally sung by a woman as whenever i try to sing a song originally sung by a man, i end up changing my voice.

Anyways , i have been trying to sing random bits of any female song i hear and (i am not much of a fan of Lady Gaga) in this link i try to attempt to sing bits of one of a lady gaga song using my chest and mixed voice. I don't like my mixed voice and i find it uncomfatable to listen to. I know it still need's work. However, i was just wondering if you guys could tell me what you think of my mixed and chest voice?

To be honest, i think my mixed voice sounds waaay too high. Also , i am unsure of what music genre i would like to sing so i was just wondering, if you guys could tell me what music genre my singing voice could be best suited to?

http://soundcloud.com/user8938323/sound-clip-82

Sorry, if it seems like i am mumbling on some words.

Thanks

You can sing whatever genre you want to. There are a combination of things going on in the recording making it very difficult to really hear enough for me (personally) to critique you. Sounds like you are using a computer mic and somewhat overloading it. I suggest when recording yourself to use a real vocal mic - so that your voice gets reproduced properly. Your voice most likely sounds 100X better that this nrecording represents. The only critique I would have is to work on support on your lower notes.

Hello rurokenji, i agree with Keith with regards to the quality of the recording and also i don't think we get to hear enough of your voice to really judge. Maybe try a verse and a chorus of a song and post that so we all can here a bit more.

you say you have been having lessons for a little while now. just out of interest what does your teacher say about your questions about your mix voice?

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I actually realized that night, i was singing in my head voice. I think i have found my mixed voice but it still needs work on it's tone.

Yeah, i recorded it using my phone and i guess the quality was pretty bad. i will definitely try using a better recording equipment. See this is the thing with my teacher. All the singing exercises and singing i do with her is "brilliant" even when i started. And like i am not going to lie but i generally think half of the time she is saying nice stuff so i can come back every week lol. I mean, she definitely has helped my voice and it has improved greatly from when i first started but still i dunno...

Right now, i am just trying to get used to singing in my mixed voice. Has anyone got any tips on how i could get used to doing that other than trying to sing songs in my mixed? Like i said before, anytime i try to sing a song, sung by a man, i end up singing just like the singer however when i sing a female's song (originally sung by a woman), i can kinda sing in my own voice/style..it's weird haha

Thanks guys for the advice, much appareciated.

hey guys, i think i may have found something that could help remove that breathy tone of my chest voice

In this video, this guy talks about a cord closure exercise that helps remove that breathy tone. I have done 10 reps of it so far and i must say, my voice sounds very very clear and not breathy at all. Is this a good exercise for me to work on?

Thanks

Hey, Ruro, don't worry, equipment is hard to come by for any one. My first decent mic, stand, usb interface, etc., was a gift from a friend when I could not get such things for myself. You are probably at a stage where you can either afford voice lessons or equipment. Many is the person here who would say concentrate on the voice lessons.

But if you feel like you are not getting what you want from voice lessons, then you may find another teacher. Which may be difficult where you are. People living in a big metro area could twirl around once and probably touch at least 3 teachers in their area. Smaller towns, especially in countries outside of America or Italy, not so much, probably.

And even to take skype lessons, you need a modern computer with a fast processor, a good mic, a videocam, if you can.

But good luck.

Hi Ronws,

Thanks for the reply. Well i am a 19 year old student and i haven't really got much money to buy any equipment at the moment. Well i go to university in a small town and in this small town there are only 2 actual qualifed singng teachers. One of these teachers is the one i currently go to. I think , next week i may go take a trial session with the other singing teacher in town to see if maybe she maybe right for me

Hi Ronws,

Thanks for the reply. Well i am a 19 year old student and i haven't really got much money to buy any equipment at the moment. Well i go to university in a small town and in this small town there are only 2 actual qualifed singng teachers. One of these teachers is the one i currently go to. I think , next week i may go take a trial session with the other singing teacher in town to see if maybe she maybe right for me

Sounds like a good plan. It theoretically can't hurt to try out another teacher. And it's not that one is better than the other. Just that different people learn at different rates with different words. We just got to find you that magic combo.

Sounds like a good plan. It theoretically can't hurt to try out another teacher. And it's not that one is better than the other. Just that different people learn at different rates with different words. We just got to find you that magic combo.

Hmmm truee