Developing middle voice question.

Rate this topic

Tenorabe

Hi! First of all I want to say I'm happy I found this forum!! I have been trying to develop my middle voice for several years now. Probably not practicing as diligently as i should at times tho. However now Im hard at it again! :D I have bought several Roger Love books and used his technique to learn what i know. I feel like I have conquered the break but my problem is when I try to get loud some of the time in middle my voice will crack out. I assume this is because I havent built my middle to what it should be yet. Also a lot of the time my voice in middle isnt as clear as chest. Is this just normal while your developing a strong voice all the way up? Any help is appreciated!!

No Im not studying with a teacher. And like i said i havent practiced as diligently as i should have. I do lawncare work and a lot of my practicing is doing scales at work and stuff. I can get quite loud in middle its just like my voice isnt real comfortable bein there yet...

I'm not familiar with the book you are reading. The passagio is very tricky and can be very difficult to master without a teacher. If you are practicing the wrong stuff you can actually do damage to your voice. Can you post a sample?

Mainly the book Sing like the Stars by Roger Love. Comes with a cd with exercises and all that good stuff. He supposedly was the voice coach for Def Leppard. I have quite a bit of confidence in his program. Im not sure how to post a recording. I could record with sound recorder on my computer and email them to you i suppose. :cool:

i have used roger loves's book and cd. it's quite good for beginners. it teaches you to land in middle voice

using the googs, gugs, muhms, and all that. these are effective fold adduction exercises too.

it might be time to integrate scales, siren's, and cry exercises into your routine too.

• Administrator

Tenorabe,

I'm in agreement with Videohere... A few years ago, I too have used Roger Love's book and CD - "Set Your Voice Free". I agree that it's a good starting course for beginners, but as geno stated:

"The passagio is very tricky and can be very difficult to master without a teacher. If you are practicing the wrong stuff you can actually do damage to your voice."

May I suggest that you contact Robert Lunte, the founder of this forum and TMV World ?

Regards,

Adolph

i have used roger loves's book and cd. it's quite good for beginners. it teaches you to land in middle voice

using the googs, gugs, muhms, and all that. these are effective fold adduction exercises too.

it might be time to integrate scales, siren's, and cry exercises into your routine too.

People probably think differently about how "cry" should sound and try to imitate that,

but i dont think iv seen anybody explain in words how to do these exercises.

Is there a some kind of concensus how to do them?

Havent you heard ronws chest is the new head!

That made me smile and thank you for making my evening.

:cool:

Even though I have also read Love's best known book, I evidently don't know what I am talking about.

So, I will sit back and enjoy the discussion of others.

ron, here we go again.....what makes feel like we think that way about what you say?

Here we go again, Bob. You missed my meaning. I said Roger Love's book was a method to carry chest high, not mentioned, that it's by means of mixed voice. Tenor Abe said it was not a carry chest high method.

So, according to him, I am wrong, which leads logically to the conclusion that I don't know what I am talking about. Hence my desire, and I thought, wisdom, to just sit back and watch others discuss. And I would have left it at that but you brought it up, again. So, I thought I would explain what I mistakenly thought was clear.

Unless you're looking for a fight. I'm not. My statement that you referred to was me relinquishing the field to the young, brash knight intent on charging.

First off, peace, brother Bob.

Second, that's okay tenorabe. I am often misunderstood. It's a curse.

Correct, I did not necessarily mean belting. For Love advocates lightening as you ascend. As opposed to other systems that advocate head control and letting in a little chest, or Lunte's 4 Pillars that advocates bridging to a well resonated head voice early.

Love was a Seth Riggs student. He teaches the same same exercises its all in how you interpret them. Remember guys it depends on the intensity, vowel and note your singing that is going to make it headier or chestier(spelled wrong) this stuff is all the same tech it's just approached from different angles like bodybuilding. Not rocket science..

Daniel

Daniel@danielformicavocalstudio.com