Set Your Voice Free - Roger Love - Questions

Rate this topic

yozguitar

Anyone doing or has done this singing/voice book course?

I am at Chapter 4 - The Miracle of Middle Voice

I am little unsure of one or two things and would appreciate it if someone could help me.

1) When should I use the cry exercise and the other exercises in this chapter? Should I use them simultaneously as the one onctave exercise

or only if I am struggling with the one octave exercise?

2) What is actually happening on the one-octave-exercise (male voice)? What note does it start on and what does it finish on? Is it getting higher each time?

Say the first note is 1, does it go 123444321 (in other words, the fourth note is sung 3 times)? And then does it go 234555432 and then 345666543 and so on?

So each time, it starts a half step higher?

On some parts of the tape, Roger also sings, including from the very beginning. Should I also sign when Roger sings or is he just showing us how it is done?

So, say when Roger sings along to the piano, and then it is just the piano on its own after, has it gone up by a half step or is it the same set of notes?

3) Does Volume matter when I am doing the exercises? I mean, does it not matter as long as it is consistent (i.e. we should not be getting louder as we go higher).

The reason I ask is, I am a little ashamed in case the neighbours can hear me doing all these funny exercises (mum, moom, goog, gug), and I try to stay lowish in the volume.

I tell you what I have noticed though, it seems to be easier to reach the notes (particulary middle) if I sing at a higher volume. Is that normal? I mean, is it hard to

hit the notes when you sing in a low volume?

It would be great if someone could help us out here. Thanks.

I read the book and practiced the exercises and here is my take and what I did.

I can't answer all of your questions but I'll do the best I can with the rest.

I use the cry whenever I feel like and with any of the scales or exercises. I believe it is an exercise to help get the airflow at the back of the throat and into the nasal area. It also lowers the larynx or at least gives a feel for how that should feel and the muscles involved. This will hopefully lead to being able to keep the larynx from rising while singing those high notes. Yawning gives a similar feeling and raises the soft palate. You can practice these anytime even when speaking phrases. it's just an exercise, incorporate it any way you see fit to work on weak areas. Be creative!

I don't know what notes he is starting on (nor did I think it mattered). I was only concerned with controlling my voice through the octave and reaching middle voice in the higher range. The rest of your question (#2) I don't understand, nor do I think it matters. Well at least I never worried about it. :)

As for singing along with him. Again...not important. If you feel like it then do it. Once you get the hang of the exercises and don't have to listen first to be on pitch then do what you want. I started out waiting for him to do the "sample" then I joined in when it was only the piano. As time when on I would sometimes do the scale with him. He is just "starting you off."

Volume matters. The point is to go higher without raising the volume. He says this allot. But this is a common piece of instruction. You'll end up screaming if you get louder as the notes go higher while singing. Singing the higher notes in a lower voice is harder, yes, you are right. But that is why you train. You just don't know how to do it now and when you sing high and louder you end up straining. Here is a rhyme I just made up "if you're straining, you need more training!" :D

Practice, practice, practice.

I thought the book explained everything well and the CD made it even easier. I practiced those exercises for 6 months (almost daily) before moving on to more advanced stuff.

Tommy

I read the book and practiced the exercises and here is my take and what I did.

I can't answer all of your questions but I'll do the best I can with the rest.

I use the cry whenever I feel like and with any of the scales or exercises. I believe it is an exercise to help get the airflow at the back of the throat and into the nasal area. It also lowers the larynx or at least gives a feel for how that should feel and the muscles involved. This will hopefully lead to being able to keep the larynx from rising while singing those high notes. Yawning gives a similar feeling and raises the soft palate. You can practice these anytime even when speaking phrases. it's just an exercise, incorporate it any way you see fit to work on weak areas. Be creative!

I don't know what notes he is starting on (nor did I think it mattered). I was only concerned with controlling my voice through the octave and reaching middle voice in the higher range. The rest of your question (#2) I don't understand, nor do I think it matters. Well at least I never worried about it. :)

As for singing along with him. Again...not important. If you feel like it then do it. Once you get the hang of the exercises and don't have to listen first to be on pitch then do what you want. I started out waiting for him to do the "sample" then I joined in when it was only the piano. As time when on I would sometimes do the scale with him. He is just "starting you off."

Volume matters. The point is to go higher without raising the volume. He says this allot. But this is a common piece of instruction. You'll end up screaming if you get louder as the notes go higher while singing. Singing the higher notes in a lower voice is harder, yes, you are right. But that is why you train. You just don't know how to do it now and when you sing high and louder you end up straining. Here is a rhyme I just made up "if you're straining, you need more training!" :D

Practice, practice, practice.

I thought the book explained everything well and the CD made it even easier. I practiced those exercises for 6 months (almost daily) before moving on to more advanced stuff.

Tommy

Thanks. Where we you at at the start of the book and where were you at by the time you had finished it (well, after the 6 months)? Did it vastly help you? Would you say there was anything better out there?