Whiskey In The Jar

• TMV World Legacy Member

Ok, here is the surprise song I spoke about (Ron).

It's not really something I usually sing although I really love this song. It's just not quite my range.

But I came across this great backing track by a couple of kids Lars and Chris. (yea...Lars...how about that).

The backing track smokes so I felt I just had to do something with it. :)

It aint about the vocals here. It's about the great track. Props to these kids.

Here we go!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11660428&q=hi&newref=1

And here is the youtube video I got the track from. Thanks to these guys

You've got some backbone, there.

This song has an interesting history. It's one of the few songs that Metallica has done that I truly enjoy because it has melody. Their cover is based on the cover by Thin Lizzy. The first recording of this old irish highway song was done by Luke Kelly and the Dubliners.

Anyway, my only complaint was that I couldn't hear you as well on the lower pitches of the verses. In the break, where you improvise, you get some good support in there and that was my favorite part. Do that some more.

Yea, I'm still having trouble with the mic/vocal volume with this recording stuff. I haven't figured it out yet. I'm singing loud and right into the mic up close, but...

Well. you hear the result.

I have the Thin Lizzy album with that on it.

But come on now...singing aside, isn't that a great track? I think so.

Tommy, are you recording the vocals on a separate track then the backing track, or are you recording over the backing track on the same track?

www.drop-head.com

I guess it's over. The music is playing as I'm singing and I can see the tracks separately. Music on top and then when I hit record, the vocal track shows up on the bottom.

Or is that separate?:D

I do not have audacity, and have never used it. But I have to think it works the same as most other programs. Make sure you are arming an empty track when you record. Make sure that when you sing into the mic at your loudest level, that the meter isnt clipping. You can mute the backing track and just play the vocal track - then you can hear your vocs enough to eq them. Do not eq the whole mix, just the track your voice is on. You're getting better, it's just going to take some time. I usually add a bit of EQ, a tiny amount of compression, and a tiny amount of reverb. If you download Cakewalk sonar 8 Pro , I can be a much greater help! I am sure there is a freeware version that has some limitations (like only 4 tracks instead of 64)

www.drop-head.com

Tommy is using Audacity, like me.

Some tips. It depends on the mic and interface. I started out with a desk mic jacked into the input from the computer. Later, I got the usb interface which has a +48 V for condenser mic.

Big ole thing that you, Keith, clued me into. Audacity's mic input level in the software. Adjust that with several scratch tracks until the clipping stops.

Also, another big hint. Most anything recorded from an analog device such as a mic needs some compression. So, take the vocal track and try some compression. Set the threshold high and the ratio to at least 2:1, maybe higher. Chose dB gain after compression.

Then, in playback, you can adjust track volume in real time. And then, when you export to mp3, it will keep that.

You can also choose the option in "EDIT" of "mix and render." The software will mix as best it can and it results in one complete track including all the included tracks.

And yes, in Audacity, you import the backing track, which becomes the first track. When you click on record, a second track starts automatically and that is the vocal track. That is what Tommy is seeing.

Compression will help bring up the lows and control some of the highs. The dynamic then becomes intensity, rather than volume.

I used similar compression settings on my "Ramble On" as well as "Stairway to Heaven."

Compression will help bring up the lows and control some of the highs. The dynamic then becomes intensity, rather than volume.

How do you add compression?

Click on the track of your vocals so that it is dark gray. Go up to effects pull down menu. select compression. Have fun.

An idea I thought you might try first. Click on the track, as before, then pull down edit and select dupe. It will create a duplicat of the track. Do that for 2 or 3 dupes. Try different compressor settings on each one. Then, in play back, click on the vocal tracks you want silent. In each track, there is a mute button. Mute all the other vocal dupes except the one you want to hear with the particular compression settings you have chosen. After playback, mute that one and un-mute another and listen to to that. Keep the one you like best and delete the others.

Then, you can dupe the one you keep a few times. On each, go to effects, choose equalizer, and try different eq settings on each one and review, as you did before, keeping the one you liked the best.

The hard part about Audacity is say that you want the chorus eq'd differently than the rest. What you have to do is record just the verses on one track and then the choruses on another track.

What I did for "Full Moon" was record one section of verses on a track. A chorus on another track. Next section, another track. on and on so that Keith, who was mixing it for me, could eq or manipulate each section independently. And, if I had a section that stunk to high heaven, I could re-do just that one section. As it turns out, a few people thought the whole thing stunk. Oh well, can't win 'em all.