Light My Fire

Rate this topic

This is another test (thanks for being patient).

I experimented with the sound in audacity today. I didn't have much time and I know the vocals go a bit pitchy and strained toward the end choruses but I wasn't doing it over again. It's not about the song, I was only testing the sound. I'm trying to get reverb right, which I don't know how to adjust. And I don't understand compression so I hit the compression link in "effects" and made no adjustments. I just clicked ok to what was already set. :D

Check it out

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11598358&q=hi

I like it... :D You've got a soothing voice... I especially like the chorus... If you'd just get the rhythm a tiny bit better this would be really kick ass :D The last note was full of passion, I liked it!!

Now, get your ass out and get yourself a decent microphone so we can enjoy your voice more! :D

You're getting better with recording. I would still ditch Audacity and download one of those programs Keith mentioned. It sounds like you are having latency problems (your voice coming in a fraction late). That's probably because of Audacity (that program is a curse :mad:). Also look at your vocal track and see if it is clipping (if there is no headroom above the wave form and it is squared off its overloaded). If that is the case, turn the mic input gain down some so it doesn't chop off.

I like it... :D You've got a soothing voice... I especially like the chorus... If you'd just get the rhythm a tiny bit better this would be really kick ass :D The last note was full of passion, I liked it!!

Now, get your ass out and get yourself a decent microphone so we can enjoy your voice more! :D

Hey that's a Shure SM58 mic I'm using....I thought that was a good mic :D

Thanks Snejk. Actually I wasn't trying to get crazy with the vocals. I was more or less trying to learn this recording stuff.

@Quincy. Yea, the timing is freaking me out because I am actually proud of myself on some of these recordings at how in the pocket i am with the timing. Right on target with the backing vocals too (timing wise) but on playback I'm like WTF?

Your final chorus of "Fire" was where your support was good. Other places, you were dropping support on the second syllable of fire. In a two-syllable word, let the first syllable be weak and the second be strong.

As for the timing. A few causes, of which I have done, myself. First cause, you are waiting for the music. As a singer, especially with a karaoke track, you should anticipate the music, lead it by a whisker.

Second, even though Audacity's latency is the pits, that is not always the problem. The problem is in the software. There is supposed to be a track synch function. If that doesn't work, then highlight the vocal track, go to effects pull down menu and select tempo shift. It will change tempo with out changing pitch. Then select .01 %.

After that, go up to the tool bar and select the time shift tool. Drag the track back and forth until a spike in the vocal waveform lines up with a spike in the backing track where it should start.

Your final chorus of "Fire" was where your support was good. Other places, you were dropping support on the second syllable of fire. In a two-syllable word, let the first syllable be weak and the second be strong.

As for the timing. A few causes, of which I have done, myself. First cause, you are waiting for the music. As a singer, especially with a karaoke track, you should anticipate the music, lead it by a whisker.

Second, even though Audacity's latency is the pits, that is not always the problem. The problem is in the software. There is supposed to be a track synch function. If that doesn't work, then highlight the vocal track, go to effects pull down menu and select tempo shift. It will change tempo with out changing pitch. Then select .01 %.

After that, go up to the tool bar and select the time shift tool. Drag the track back and forth until a spike in the vocal waveform lines up with a spike in the backing track where it should start.

Thanks Ron. Yea I noticed the falling out on the chorus but for sure I wasn't doing it over again! :D Not today.

I wasn't too concerned though, I was more into trying to work out recording and reverb and whatnot.

Thanks bro. :)