Head Voice Isolation exercises

Rate this topic

staticsound

Can anybody recommend a good exercise for strengthening head voice in the 5th octave? My head voice is very strong from say A4-C#5. I can usually take it up to an F#5 but tension creeps back in. I've been doing the "Head Resonance Placement & Extreme Scream Pitch" from Pillars 2.0...but just curious what you guys use?

i cannot recommend enough descending head voice slides starting with "oo" and "ee" ...then "eh" and "uh" 1000's of them till you start to thicken the head voice using a modified version of messa di voce.

take them from the very top of your head voice all the way down into and overlapping chest notes. after several months your falsetto will thicken into a resonant, connected head tone. while exercising you will sound operatic and female diva-ish, but just wait till you see what it does for your voice.

it's very healthy, promotes proper placement, and gets rid of the antagonism between the vocal musculatures.

fabulous, fabulous exercise.

Thanks! I'll give this a shot. Yeah, I've done the messa di voce exercise....it just seems once I get past C#5, I can feel tension in my neck and my placement goes to sh*t for some reason. But this sounds like it could help. Thanks again!

I agree. I reach a roadblock around C5 with my head voice. It never bothered me because I don't go up there for stylistic reasons anyway, but maybe it's something I should develop for overall technical reasons!

Thanks! I'll give this a shot. Yeah, I've done the messa di voce exercise....it just seems once I get past C#5, I can feel tension in my neck and my placement goes to sh*t for some reason. But this sounds like it could help. Thanks again!

That's because you are afraid to go lighter in your voice. Push past the fear. The fear that you will sound "weak" or not have enough volume. For you cannot hear yourself like others hear you. Let it go and like Bo said, "just do it."

Hi, i am new to singing and keep seeing messa di voce popping up what is this exercise?

Cheers

Paul

Starting with low volume on a note, gradually increasing volume, then decreasing volume back to the starting level.

Can anybody recommend a good exercise for strengthening head voice in the 5th octave? My head voice is very strong from say A4-C#5. I can usually take it up to an F#5 but tension creeps back in. I've been doing the "Head Resonance Placement & Extreme Scream Pitch" from Pillars 2.0...but just curious what you guys use?

rustycage81: Vocal strength in this area needs some help from resonant vowels. You cannot sing the same vowels on D5 on up as you do to the C#. With some soft-voice experiementation, you can find the exact vowels for the particular notes you are singing.

Generally, things go toward UH in the throat and mouth, with lip shaping changes to fine-tune the resonances to match harmonics of the particular note. In classical tenors, this adjustment generally means some significant jaw drop, and lip spreading (smiling) is be done.

As an exercise, siren up to the D5 with your mouth almost closed, and then while on the D5, progressively drop your jaw and smile until you find the positioning where you get a sudden volume increase. If you go farther than this, you will lose resonance. Repeat on sirens to each note, and then open to the point that the resonance is best.

I hope this helps.