Is this chest voice or something?

Rate this topic

MetalHensen

hello,

This is my trying of singing "hunting high and low" from stratovarius, a power metal band.

http://www.box.net/shared/6udezbvxvv

(Sorry for my bad English pronounce)

Am I singing all the notes in chest voice? Because I never feel that I am using any technics, I just sing all the same way from low to high notes.

And I never feel any physiological changing especially for my vocal cords.

I was confused, because I never feel the "head voice" or color change, and this could been heard by the recording.

And I could not sing freely for songs of higher notes like paradise(stratovarius) eapecially at the end of the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpI5aAzeJUI

When singing this song near the end, I experience the insufficience of my vocal cord muscle strength. So at this situation, I have to add more strain to the cord in order to keep the voice shape(or it could be tranformed into a sharp sound if I don't keep the shape). As you know, this is not correct for adding the strain. But I don't know how to deal with it.

I think maybe my singing technic is wrong. Because if my technic is right, then when I singing in high notes near high C/D , I would not feel the tireness in my cord.

But if my technic has no big problems, then why I still feel the lack of my cord strength after practicing over and over again for this song(paradise)(about 1 month!). And no improve. I could hardly keep in good shape near the end of the song.

From what I can tell it sounded like you are pulling your chest voice as you started to sing higher. You never really entered into head voice as the part of the song you recorded didn't get high enough. When you feel that you are straining it's a good indication that you are pulling chest weight up too high. what you should be doing then is using less air flow and making sure you maintain good closure of your vocal folds. The feeling will be like singing higher is actually less strenuous than singing lower! I'm just starting to understand it myself but it will come to you with practice. I strongly suggest having some lessons with one of our fine vocal coaches here.

From what I can tell it sounded like you are pulling your chest voice as you started to sing higher. You never really entered into head voice as the part of the song you recorded didn't get high enough. When you feel that you are straining it's a good indication that you are pulling chest weight up too high. what you should be doing then is using less air flow and making sure you maintain good closure of your vocal folds. The feeling will be like singing higher is actually less strenuous than singing lower! I'm just starting to understand it myself but it will come to you with practice. I strongly suggest having some lessons with one of our fine vocal coaches here.

I agree with what Snax said.

http://www.box.net/shared/4zappjcgz7

Pls check this out.

This is me singing with a pop song , I think the range is suitable to express my high notes situation.(5~highC)

5 to highC is in the range of the head voice. I still could not get the feeling of the color transition.

I've tried the SLS way, but the head voice to me is too piercing.

If you hear any pushing of my chest especially in high notes, please warn me.

Pretty sure that you are pulling chest voice up too high. There are specific exercises that will teach you what head voice feels like and then how to build it into a stronger sound. This is what I learned and used to sing the song "Love Hurts" in another thread. The secret or key is to perhaps learn to get your chest tone quieter and your head voice louder and more full sounding so that they blend better and won't be obvious as you transition between the two.

Listen to "Run to the hills" by Iron Maiden for a good example of what I'm talking about. When he sings the chorus he starts in chest voice then used head voice for the line "run for your lives" but both sound big and powerful.

MetalHensen,

there is definite constriction and strain going on. as you go higher in range you have to change what your doing otherwise the voice gets stuck in the same coordination as chest voice and it feels strained and uncomfortable as you have been experiencing. there can be many aspects to changing coordination such as vowel shaping, support, adding twang etc. a couple of different techniques for making the change of coordination needed as you go higher are the SLS and SS way but you say "I've tried the SLS way, but the head voice to me is too piercing." do you mean that you found it too light sounding? if so, this is often the case when your building up the technique. you start off light and get fuller and fuller the more you progress. also with these types of techniques the head voice can feel very tiny to the singer making it but is big to the audience. thats something you have to get used too. other types of techniques that you may want to look into (such as CVT www.completevocaltechnique.com) can get you to make fuller sounds straight away but require that aspects such as very solid support amongst other things are in place.

it shouldnt feel like you having to strain or push any harder with the throat to achieve higher notes. there should be no gripping or tight feeling there.

Thanks a lot for Snax and CentreOfTheUniverse!.

Actually I posted another topic here couple months ago, that is about the vocal cord fatigue.

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/themodernvocalist/viewtopic.php?id=282

And here is an another topic about the "belt voice"(I call it) and a light head voice.

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/themodernvocalist/viewtopic.php?id=331

The record links are missing, but the "chest voice" is actually the same as I'd shown in this topic(because of you, hunting high and low)

In fact, the 3 topics(include this one) are the same question: When I use my voice, then is it normal that the fold fatique will come after I sing series of high notes?

More precise to say, if any technic is used properly then is it possible that the cord will feel tired?

You can see my words I quote here "When singing this song near the end, I experience the insufficience of my vocal cord muscle strength."

and actually if I sing the "because of you" by just one or twice times, then it is totally OK. But if I sing it for the whole song, then the fatique would come at the end of the song with series of high notes(Up to high D,high E or something).

I sing songs of power metal, if you don't know the power metal, then the pitch range is like the Iron maiden, queensryche, dream theater, steel heart.... I don't know and I could not ask them questions like "Did you feel the vocal cord tired when you sang a high note song IN A LIVE performance?"

Because in fact it is totally difference between practice/recording a song and sing the whole song in live. That is because when recording or practicing, you just need to try one section of the song over and over again, and you could control your break time such that the cords are in a good condition. In this way you would feel free/comfortable even if you used a wrong technic.

But when you have a gig, the situation is different, you have to sing songs from the start to the end. If you write the songs by yourself, then it is possible that you could control your cord break time. But in most cases, it isn't. You could not control your break time.

In this case you have to follow the song, and you have to find out the break time when the guitarist is soloing. But the time is too short unless you play the progress metal like dream theater. So if I could ask them a question, then I will ask: are U feel tired when you sing a high note song in particular at the end of the song? Then how did U deal with it?

As Snax said, I might pull alot, but I feel free when singing those songs without irritations, I just feel tired at the end of the high note songs. What I consider is the situation like gigs so I have to perform many songs. Such that I could not keep in good shape if I have sang over 5 or 6 series high note songs.

As mentioned about the SLS, I listen to the tapes of Mr.Seth Riggs. (That could be founded in Utube) After practices, anyone could get fuller sound(That is shown by that tape, a singer sang an opera voice in high notes). I had tried that for several months, I still stuck in a light sounding. Maybe if I want to overcome it, then its needed to find a SLS coach .