Training your voice every other day

Rate this topic

jonpall

Hi, I was wondering if it's better to do vocal training every other day than every day, in order to give the muscles that control your voice a chance to grow and develop?

When you're working on a weight lifting program in the gym, you have to rest your muscles if you want them to grow. You can't really train every muscle every day of the week - for most muscles you need to let them rest for at least a day or two. Your voice is a series of muscles - does this not also apply to your voice? I know that it's good to take a day off every now and then, but I'm talking about taking every other day off, or so. If you train every day, won't you overtrain? Just wondering.

Comments?

i would say if your training right I.E. not pushing your voice and feeling hoarse or strained afterwards (a way to test that other than obviously feeling any discomfort is that your range should be the same after training, no high or low notes should have disappeared and also after a quick cool down your speaking voice should be completely normal-no hoarseness or breathyness) then training 5-6 days a week shouldn't be a problem. you are right though thats its good to have a few days break now and then. i have been told that a good way to train is a little but often rather than say doing 2 hours straight each day you train however that is something i end up doing more often than not.

When you lift weights and tax the muscles, rest is crucial. However, when you train for strength rather than size you are learning the 'skill' of the movement as much as--if not more than--you are stressing the muscles. A bodybuilder might train each individual muscle only 1-2x a week, whereas a competitive Olympic weight-lifter may train their body to perform specific movements as many as 5x a week.

Perhaps with the voice it is more like the latter scenario; you are practising techniques and ingraining muscle memory rather than the focus being on enhancing muscular strength by breaking down the vocal muscles and forcing them to grow back stronger (although I'm sure this is important as well).

I am a novice so take my advice for what it's worth, but I would have thought that if you regularly need to rest every other day, that is a sign you may be using the voice incorrectly.