Puissance

What Microphone Do You Use for Vocals?

Rate this topic

Now, I have something to contribute to this thread. Angel sent me the greatest gift for someone like myself. I received a Fame CM-1 condenser studio mic, stand, holder, pop filter, headphones, cable, and Guitarface II USB interface. I am currently learning it's workings. And man, this thing is sensitive. I sang from 1.5 feet away from the pop filter and I still went wall to wall on the track waveform guides on a few high notes. Of course, this was on "Rainbow in the Dark," which I seem to have a really bright tone on. So, I would probably have to back away from the mic just a little bit more. But at least I learned to adjust the input level on the interface.

I realize that others have more expensive mics but, for me, this is light-years above the little desk mic I have been using from Office Depot. This one captures so much of my tone and overtones. Even the crashing depth of the signature Ronnie James Dio "Look out!"

I am still recording with Audacity and actually, it can mix pretty well, for general purposes. Of course, I knew, that having a decent, real singing mic would make a world of difference.

I'm currently using an MXL USB.006. It was the only USB plug n play condenser mic I could afford at guitar center at the time. It beats using the rockband mic I was using hah. All in all I am really pleased with the performance of it.

I'm a poor bastard but I'm very pleased with my shure sm7b for my current needs. Got a M-audio Fast track Ultra sound card with that and a M-audio DMP3 preamp when I need more precise gain.

Don't worry guys, I'm a poor bastard, right now, as well. As I said, an angel looked upon me and had faith in my voice and had the ability to help me. And one day, it will be my turn, and I will help others. Maybe even help an angel.

hey guys,

am an amateur in mics and my church's on a shoestring budget to get a mic which is good and cheap. the recommendations i've been getting are:

1) sennheiser e835s

2 sennheiser e845s

3) shure sm58

been hearing that shure sm58's are overrated and sennheiser's have better frequency range. but i guess it's a good safe pick to go for the sm58?

not sure which one is cheaper in my country (from Malaysia), but i presume i won't go wrong with both?

need the mic for singing, speaking/preaching and potentially recording? priority to singing and speaking/preaching.

thanks in advance for the input guys!

I'm no expert, either. Many is the person who has made quite a bit of music with SM58. For the price, it is a pretty good deal. Robert Lunte, founder of this forum and website has a thread or two regarding the effectiveness of mics along with their price and what the best budget mic is. And he is a vocal and mic pro, a self-professed mic "geek." So, search for his posts to help you. But if the sm 58 is in your budget, get that one. And it may be well suited for the music that you do. Some of the others suggested here are specifically helpful for high-pitched heavy metal and vocal distortion (rasp and growl).

hey guys,

am an amateur in mics and my church's on a shoestring budget to get a mic which is good and cheap. the recommendations i've been getting are:

1) sennheiser e835s

2 sennheiser e845s

3) shure sm58

I'll take the 835 over the sm58 (or beta 59) any day.

The 845 sounds a little better, but does not reject unwanted sound as well, so I'd stick with the 835 (or 935 if you can afford it).

Cheers guys! Appreciate the feedback :) I think I'll go for the Sennheiser E835s as most say it's better than SM58 and the SM58's overrated.

Btw, wouldn't the E845 have more feedback since hypercardioid mics are able to pick up sound from the back of mcs?

I have tried the Blue 300 and was quite disappointed. It sounds very thin and hollow when you hit the higher register. I currently own the Blue Encore 200 and like it quite a bit. It's on the bright side but not overly so. Crisp, yet fairly warm and very consistent from the low notes to the high notes. The built is robust and is of high quality. I like it better than the Seinheiser E series ( lack gain but seems to be uncolored which is a plus for many singer ) and, of course, much better than the Shure SM58. The Blue 300, on the other hand, is not as well constructed and is below par in all facets to the cheaper Encore 200. Could I possibly got a lemon when I bought the Blue Encore 300? I returned it after one day of trying it out.

I also own the EV RE410 condenser mic. Sweet sounding mic ( esp for raspy voice singer ). However, if you are a dynamic singer, it tends to distort if you are not careful. Feedback is a bit of an issue as well.

AE 5400 is also a very nice mic ... smooth, lush sounding.

Definitely want to take Robert Lunte's advice and have an extended try out of the EV 767A ( sang with it a couple years ago and was impressed but did not get a chance to truly test it out ), Heil PR 35 ( probably the most positive reviewed mic online ), Opus 89, and Telefunken M80.

It was only in the last few years that Bruce Dickinson changed to headset (what he calls "radio") mics. Up until then, even with a wireless adapter, he used the indestructible tank, the Shure SM58. Of course, he has a unique voice that does well on that mic.

If one can afford it, definitely go with the Heil Pr35. It's a thing of beauty. I'd also go with the Sennheiser E835 or 935 over the Shure 58 anyday. Or the Rode M1- beats the crap out of it.

Good suggestions, auramac. If I had the money and some professional gigs lined up, I would probably get the Heil though Lunte's demo of the Rode M1 is right up my alley as far as sound goes.

my personal fav is the AKG 3700. i love that i can use it with cable or switch it out to wirless. it also sounds great fer my voice.

never had any probs or complaints with AKG... ;)

I sang from 1.5 feet away from the pop filter and I still went wall to wall on the track waveform guides on a few high notes. Of course, this was on "Rainbow in the Dark," which I seem to have a really bright tone on. So, I would probably have to back away from the mic just a little bit more. But at least I learned to adjust the input level on the interface.

Backing away will decrease the lows and low mids. Turn the pad on or turn the gain down, so you can sing at the distance that gives you the best sound with no EQ. (Plus, the farther back you are, the more room reflections the mic will pick up, messing up the tone because of comb filtering.)

This year was my "mic year" changing a lot of things in my stock of microphones (and coming back to live music after a pause period)

For many years I've been with a

Shure Beta Green 2.0 (the first neodymium line bout 20 years ago)

then.. with a Shure SM58

Last summer I took my first condenser for studio and live

A Rode NT2a and a Rode M2 (1 $ offer in bundle with the first one) a little bit feedy, but good sounding.

Last Christmas... the chinese investment...:cool:

the 3 microphones that changed my perception on value for money... from Superlux

- 238 PRO MK II : a wonderful handeld large diaphgram (39 €)

- S 125 (live condenserd with a great sensibility, feedback resistant, and extremely linear, for any use...) (49 €)

- PRO 248 Beta (a clone.. better than the original, as sound.... of Shure Beta 58), you can put it inside the speakers, without feedback... :D, probably the one I use more... giving my sm 58 to other people for karaoke gigs...

Last arrived.. as bundle gift with Voicelive 2 an AKG D5... not yet well analysed like the others...

now.. stop.... :rolleyes:

update...

I took an EV 767 for live performing.. and it's fantastic. It match perfectly with my voice and style.

Now I'm only tented to take a TC Helicon MP-75 as I'm a VOicelive 2 user and have the controlling switch on it.

Other update possible is a tube microphone after the condenser one for studio recordings.

But I'm waiting to find a C12 clone (like Apex 460 or HST-11) already modded with capsule, tube, and circuit.

I use either a Neumann TLM102 or modded Oktava MK319 for studio.

For live I've tried SM58, Beta 58, Sennheiser E935, E845, E838, AKG D5 and have just picked up a Rode M2.

My favorite is probably the E935 but I've been very impressed with the E838 and AKG D5! I haven't really given the Rode M2 a proper try out yet so the verdict is out on this one at the moment.

I would like to try the Heil PR22 and EV N/D767a at some point soon.

I had budget for an SM58 and went to buy one. In the store I got to do a side-by-side comparison with a Rhode M1. The 1 won and I bought it. I also have 2SM58's but use them for other purposes and as backup and in the practice room.

Got rid of my Beta 58a and ordered the EV 767. Psyched to try it out.

I dunno why the Beta gets a bad rap, though. I liked it after equalization.

If I wasn't such a poor bastard (and saving up for pillars) I'd get the senn 945 also.

Got rid of my Beta 58a and ordered the EV 767. Psyched to try it out.

I dunno why the Beta gets a bad rap, though. I liked it after equalization.

If I wasn't such a poor bastard (and saving up for pillars) I'd get the senn 945 also.

Definitely keep saving up for Pillars !!! It's worth every penny and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I have every update and that, too was very well worth the investment !!! More to add in the "TVS vs KTVA" post when I get a spare moment....

The Sennheiser e945 ROCKS !!!

And I also agree with you about the Shure Beta 58a. I know - everyone raves over the "straight" 58, but I'm not fond of it....

My other favorites :

Rode M-1

ND767a

Well, looks like I also had to buy the e945. I bought it new for about 100usd, just couldn't pass the offer by. :cool: