Mixed Or Head?

Rate this topic

Matt

I'm so lousy at hearing whats going on with my own voice, much too close to it. I can understand other peoples voices a lot easier, sadly. I suppose its that way for most people. Am I in headvoice or mix in this example? Lowest and highest notes are A3 and A4

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/19509648/limelight.wav

i guess there are a few ways to describe it when your talking about bridges, breaks, passaggi and registers etc. for instance in SLS for the average male tenor or baritone voice it would be considered chest voice up until about Eb, E natural (above middle C) then above that would be described as the mix or middle voice (a mixture of chest and head resonance and a mix of TA and CT musculature/action) then at about G#, A natural would be considered head voice. the thing is that say in Singing Success they call that transition above mix as high mix instead of head voice because chest resonance and TA activity is still present unless your going to a pure, light head voice sound/coordination. i think the reason why SLS and other techniques call it head voice (above the mix/middle voice register) is because the sensation of mix/middle voice is much more akin to chest voice. its almost like a thinning out of chest voice (with the resonance going a little further back towards the soft palate) but once you hit that head voice register the sensation is a very different one. maybe its just because thats where im at vocally but i think that transition in to head voice is one of the trickiest areas. its fine once your way up into head voice, say tenor high C but the beginning of it is a hard area to master. of course there are those who describe the registers as just two, chest and head with head voice starting at that first bridge (Eb, E natural above middle C) but as i said the sensation with those notes until you hit the next bridge is much more chest voice like in sensation to me so i personally wouldnt consider it head voice yet.

Sounds great to me. You don't seem to have any tension through the range, so I would think you are mixing it properly as you go up. I have no clue as to if it is head or mix. From CenterOfTheUniverse's explanation, sounds like there are different schools of thought on the subject.

Well, this thread is turning out a lot better than I expected - you're all saying everything I want to hear lol!

Curbing would seem to be an accurate description, so is curbing==mixed voice? Snax mentioned not much bite which I guess would be the "you need better closure" comment I expected?

If it sounds effortless, I'd put that down entirely to speaking instead of singing, something I started doing about a year ago after always having been terribly tense and shouting as hard as I could to get to A4. It IS effortless physically, it takes exactly the same effort as speaking, as soon as it starts to get hard physically, the ring of the tone loses quality - however it does take (for me), concentrating all the time on speaking each syllable and not lapsing into "singing" mode.

To regulate my volume right now, I always imagine myself speaking to someone in the room for low or medium volume singing and speaking loudly to someone in the other room when I want to sing louder.

I wonder if this automatically turns into overdrive if I just increase intensity in that manner?

i would say that curbing is indeed very close to mixed voice (and a well produced, fuller head voice when its taken up that high) but not exactly the same. the SLS and SS teachers i have shown CVT curbing examples to have said that it sounds a bit too squeezed and pushed/pressed sounding to their ears though i would say the examples i have heard of curbing applied well from Martin H do sound very close to what i personally would say is a mixed voice/good head voice but i dont know if the SLS/SS teachers would share that opinion.

"If it sounds effortless, I'd put that down entirely to speaking instead of singing, something I started doing about a year ago after always having been terribly tense and shouting as hard as I could to get to A4. It IS effortless physically, it takes exactly the same effort as speaking, as soon as it starts to get hard physically, the ring of the tone loses quality - however it does take (for me), concentrating all the time on speaking each syllable and not lapsing into "singing" mode.

To regulate my volume right now, I always imagine myself speaking to someone in the room for low or medium volume singing and speaking loudly to someone in the other room when I want to sing louder"

pretty much hits the nail on the head to me.

in regards to the mode turning automatically into overdrive by increasing volume/intensity it would only happen if you also automatically changed the set up for overdrive, which along with the greater volume would be extra support, wider placed vowels and a bigger "bite" mouth position etc. basically overdrive has a much more shout like quality to it especially in the high part of the voice so unless your going towards that quality it wont be overdrive.

Two examples of my curbing (one with distortion). English is not my native language, so it's harder for me than in the native language. I'm sure that SLS/SS teachers do not like it, even if this kind of singing does not hurt me ;)

http://w89.wrzuta.pl/audio/7BwkOq0T6Db/curbing

http://w892.wrzuta.pl/audio/2jC45S5KI88/distortion

Br,

Robert

Two examples of my curbing (one with distortion). English is not my native language, so it's harder for me than in the native language. I'm sure that SLS/SS teachers do not like it, even if this kind of singing does not hurt me ;)

http://w89.wrzuta.pl/audio/7BwkOq0T6Db/curbing

http://w892.wrzuta.pl/audio/2jC45S5KI88/distortion

Br,

Robert

yeah i wasnt saying curbing is bad or anything just that a lot of people say curbing = mixed voice but that its not necessarily true.

Centre,

I'm a little confused...I thought, based on the vowel modifications SS advocates, the "heavy mix" would be 100% Curbing(at least in the Mid to High part of voice.) Curbing would be "trademark" Stevie Wonder/Sting/Usher/Brian McKnight/etc.

Also, curbing has a WIDE MARGIN of Sound Colors within the mode. You can go from a dark classical sound all the way to a light twanged Axl Rose kind of thing.

Tack Jens! Men jag tycker kritiken känns överdriven :P

I'm taken by surprise at the nice comments people have posted, because I really wasn't trying to illustrate anything other than a reasonably clear, relaxed tone, which Im knocked out that people seem to agree with. Mr Bounce, I agree, this is very non-dangerous, backing vocals singing to me. Theres no expression or inflections in this excerpt, IMO. One of my main ambitions though is to find a pretty tone, since all my favorite rock singers have that at their core (Dio, Paul Rodgers, Coverdale etc) that they then dirty up a bit. I'll try to post a clip when I get home this evening to illustrate how I usually attempt to base my singing in a pretty tone that I try to be slightly careless about when singing lead to make it a little more gritty.

Videohere, no need to be humble, Ive heard your stuff! Its interesting though that you comment on my support because with this technique I completely ignore thinking about my support and let it do its own stuff.

adarth, your distorted clip sounds to my ears right in the very center of the throat, an image I like to use when looking for a comfortable place to sing from.

Screw it, I just did this:

http://www4.speedyshare.com/files/19581294/wannaknoww.mp3

Thats a bit more like what I sound like otherwise, though Ive only been awake for about an hour and dont know the chords to the song and reading the lyrics from some dodgy internet page ;)

Now its time to hit the shower!

Överdriven?Har faktiskt lyssnat på det där klippet en hel del :P Och jag står fast vid min kommentar. Det låter riktigt riktigt proffsigt.

Sedan om du vill ta åt dig handlar mer om dig än om mig ;)

Centre,

I'm a little confused...I thought, based on the vowel modifications SS advocates, the "heavy mix" would be 100% Curbing(at least in the Mid to High part of voice.) Curbing would be "trademark" Stevie Wonder/Sting/Usher/Brian McKnight/etc.

Also, curbing has a WIDE MARGIN of Sound Colors within the mode. You can go from a dark classical sound all the way to a light twanged Axl Rose kind of thing.

yeah i dont think it was anything to do with sound colour that the teachers felt that curbing is different than mixed voice as mixed voice can be coloured different depending on the vowel you use and your right that the vowel modification such as UH and O/UH are good for a mixed voice set up. it was that they felt it sounded a bit too squeezed and i guess overly compressed sounding. too much of a "hold" in CVT terminology. the problem when you start putting sounds into specific boxes is that your bound to find sounds that fall in between them or outside them. just like how Estill belting would be considered a uncentered mode compared to CVT type belting.

matt, in my humble opinion, that sounds like nicely supported light timbre head voice to my ears.

didnt sound that light to me in the sense that the top note isnt suddenly transferring into a lighter tone but keeps consistent (through a very gradual lightening as the pitch rises) with the lower voiced tone but yeah its not Wagner tenor heavy or belting but then both of those would require considerably more effort.

Tack Jens! Men jag tycker kritiken känns överdriven :P

! Its interesting though that you comment on my support because with this technique I completely ignore thinking about my support and let it do its own stuff.

haha Matt you may not have studied SLS but you make comments like this along with the tone/speak singing type stuff that are very SLS concepts!

Screw it, I just did this:

http://www4.speedyshare.com/files/19581294/wannaknoww.mp3

Thats a bit more like what I sound like otherwise, though Ive only been awake for about an hour and dont know the chords to the song and reading the lyrics from some dodgy internet page ;)

Now its time to hit the shower!

proves you dont have to sing pitches that only dogs can hear to sound great!!!!!