Felipe Carvalho

Pilot Session of the TMVW Skype Conference Project

Rate this topic

So, we are ready for the first pilot conference, the topics will be:

- Chest, how high can it go?

- Can anyone learn to sing?

The rules for participating are as follow:

Technical requirements:

-Skype, either for Windows, Mac, or Linux. Although mobile versions are available, they do not currently support conference calls with video -- you would receive audio only.

-A mic

-Speakers or headphones

-Webcam (optional, but preferred) -- if you use a cam, please have a source of light BEHIND the cam (i.e. lamp, sunlight, etc.) so that we can see you clearly

-A broadband connection with speeds of at least 1.5Mbps download and 768Kbps upload. Test your connection on http://www.speedtest.net to be sure.

Conference Call Rules:

-You must be a member of The Modern Vocalist Forum at www.themodernvocalistforum.com or the TVM World Social site at www.themodernvocalist.com. If you are not, please register first.

-Be respectful.

-Prepare in advance any questions or ideas about the topics being discussed. Keep everything concise and objective.

-If you make a statement, expect that it will be challenged; be prepared to back it up, preferably with a demonstration.

-If you are doing a demonstration and intend to be loud, please warn us first and then step away from the mic.

-Wait until an idea is fully presented before challenging it or asking questions. If you want to respond, write a message in the group chat box alerting the moderator that you have something to say.

-Keep your mic on mute unless the moderator has permitted you to speak.

-No marketing of products, methods, voice teachers, etc.

- Wait for your turn to speak, the moderator will notify you it is your turn. Use the chat system to communicate when others are speaking if you need to.

- By participating on the sessions, you agree to have your voice and images recorded and showed publicly on the TMVW site and community.

We plan on doing a maximum of 1:00 lenght session, so we will divide both subjects into 30 minutes divisions. After the sessions, the users will be free to free chat.

I ask the participants who have something to say on the subjects, to write it down in a very brief and direct way beforehand, because the ammount of time is very short for such vast topics.

The session will take place at july the 18th, wednesday, at 23:00 GMT time, please translate it into your time zone using the appropriate region. I believe for most USA users it would be 19:00 hours, is this correct?

Any questions or doubts, please use this thread.

that's 7:00 pm, but then we have the four times zones in the usa

eastern, central, mountain, and pacific

Felipe had written 2300 hours GMT (east coast.) 2300 hours is 11 pm. I live in CDST (central daylight savings time) which puts me 2 hours behind the east coast and just about my bedtime. I have to get up at 4 am (0400 hours CDST) and get my cranky old body moving to leave the house be 5 and get to work by 6 am. And, yesterday, Friday, I didn't get out of there until 5 and then had to run another 30 minutes of company errands.

But still, it sounds like fun and I can at least be a fly on the wall.

ronws, its GMT time. You got to know your timezone and convert!

Mine is GMT -3 for example, so, for me, its 20:00.

When it is 11 pm on the east coast of USA, it is 9 pm in Texas, where I live, which is in daylight savings time until November. 9 pm is 2100 hours (something I learned as a result of growing up around people with military experience.)

I know my timezone. I suspect you were not aware of my timezone.

Not to be a party pooper, but do you guys really think that the agenda is that interesting? Perhaps you CAN make it interesting, but if you take a look at the second question - the answer is pretty much ... yes, of course. And the answer to the first question absolutely depends on your definition of chest voice - and even if you define some "chest voice", does it actually matter that much, because we've all heard some singers who sound very full voiced throughout their range. A question that I personally find very interesting is "What's the best way to train your voice and why?". In other words, how can you make the most of your vocal training sessions?

With that being said, I think the idea for this Skype session is a great one and if I have the time, I'll show up :) Will everyone have a singer's mic or just use the mic in the laptop/computer?

jonpall, there were threads around that gathered attention on both these subjects, so we thought it would be a good headstart. One prone to touch a delicate subject and the other not that much, although its not as straightforward as it looks, because using real examples as you did, singers that deliver with quality are not that common, quite rare in my opinion, why? :P

Your idea for the subject is also great.

Any mic will do!

i'm really looking forward to this. the interaction will be so helpful. as i said, if customers are here, i'll just mute my mic out of respect for you folks and the customer.....lol!!!!

you get some pretty interesting conversation in a store like mine...lol!!!

i'm really looking forward to this. the interaction will be so helpful. as i said, if customers are here, i'll just mute my mic out of respect for you folks and the customer.....lol!!!!

you get some pretty interesting conversation in a store like mine...lol!!!

LOL I bet haha, but don't forget that our mics are suppose to be muted unless we have a response or question.

Could I attend as a listener?

If so, does the skype account that will host the conference already exist?

As long as you are a member you can attend.