Official Queensryche Cover Thread

• TMV World Legacy Member

I decided that there should be a Queensryche cover thread. I think that most of us love them, so, post some queensryche vocal covers up in here. You too Robert, you know ya wanna. ONLY RULE - only use 1 take. If you make a mistake, realize that we all do and post it anyway.

I'll dive right in and post my second attempt at Jet City Woman. My first was a trainwreck - even tuned down a whole step. This one is porper tuning.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11802660&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good overall tone and pitch control, bro! The only thing is that you should use a mixed and/or head voice instead of the falsetto. It needs more "meat" to sound brutal and powerful. Anyway, you are a good singer.

PS: What do you mean by "porper" tuning?

This is too weird. I was just driving home and I haven't listened to Queensryche for a long while so I decided to pop in a cd. I played Jet City Woman and sang along. Well "tried." :D I can almost sing it I just can't connect the high parts with the rest of the song. This is week three of being sick so high notes just ain't working at all making it even worse.

But good thread Keith and great job on the song.

Real good job keith i liked how you get geoffs little nuances. Dont be afraid of the high notes that you got a little light on. Go through them i think you will find the strength think down dont let go.

awesome job

PLEASE CONTACT DANIEL@YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER@GMAIL.COM
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formica, https://www.youtube.com/user/danformica
Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME. They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

I would be up for this, as I am a huge Queensryche fan. I have another song in mind I have been meaning to record anyway, however, I don't agree with the one rule as I am a perfectionist. And would only post it once I have it down like I want it, plus I do all of my own backup vocals as well. If we can bypass that rule, I would be happy to contribute to this challenge.

Official Press Release - 'Book of Shadows' CD for sale now!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/slstone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/book-of-shadows/id611487291
http://www.slstonemusic.com
Need music with which to sing along? 50% off All Services November Sale. Sign up now! http://stonecraftmusicstudio.com

I would be up for this, as I am a huge Queensryche fan. I have another song in mind I have been meaning to record anyway, however, I don't agree with the one rule as I am a perfectionist. And would only post it once I have it down like I want it, plus I do all of my own backup vocals as well. If we can bypass that rule, I would be happy to contribute to this challenge.

ANYONE can make a perfect cover dude. This is about how we do in one take.

www.drop-head.com

• Administrator

Keith, I just listened to your tune. Great job Buddy! Way to step up... !!! Maybe those onsets and sirens are helping after all! Great to hear a student get after something like this and "balls" it up the public forum.

Keith, I just listened to your tune. Great job Buddy! Way to step up... !!! Maybe those onsets and sirens are helping after all! Great to hear a student get after something like this and "balls" it up the public forum.

Thanks Maestro, that means a lot!

www.drop-head.com

• Administrator

".... all along thinking without you"... I think Dante would say, beef up your interarytenoid & vocalis on this in a few parts. The 'contract & release' onsets would really help you to get these M2/head tones beefier at the level they need to be... i would be excited to show you how... it would take about four weeks of working out the musculature, perhaps a bit longer, but in time, you can get this chestier with some things I can show you.

It mostly needs a dampened larynx and stronger anchoring.. but its only a matter of working out the muscles. You can do it... I have been working on this stuff a lot lately and I sang "take hold of the flame" last night the best I ever have in my entire life, I'm not kidding... I sang it the way I always wanted to since I was 15 years old...

This interarytenoid and vocalis work with onsets and sirens really works great. I've never sounded or felt more 'beefy' in my M2/head tones in my entire career. Im busting through a new level of strength and capability. I hope to share the ideas with my clients soon as I continue to refine the pedagogy around it and update the book with it.

I know, I know... "let's hear it"? I will, maybe tomorrow or within the week, but can't do it now...

I know I posted this in another thread where we derailed into things regarding Queensryche. And I even had a thread for this, one my own.

But I will post it here, for the thread. The song I would like to cover is "Silent Lucidity but I can't get the lowest notes. I may still try it, some day.

However, here is the one I could do.

Recovering from self-induced laryngitis, some wrong intonation here and there, and totally wrong post-recording mixing strategies, here is a typical ronws record.

And yes, the vocal is one take. But I must admit that I had to start several times. The timing to start the first line is a challenge, or, at least, it was for me. I recorded this in 2010.

"I Don't Believe in Love" by Queensryche

http://www.box.com/s/f01abfff3963930ddb4d

Recovering from self-induced laryngitis, some wrong intonation here and there, and totally wrong post-recording mixing strategies, here is a typical ronws record.

And yes, the vocal is one take. But I must admit that I had to start several times. The timing to start the first line is a challenge, or, at least, it was for me. I recorded this in 2010.

"I Don't Believe in Love" by Queensryche

http://www.box.com/s/f01abfff3963930ddb4d

This song is mega hard man, gratz for doin it! you made it your own. The recording isn't so bad - don't be so hard on yourself. I would be curious to hear how you would sound on it in 2012!

www.drop-head.com

I know I would sing it slightly differently. And it would sound differently, too, for I have not injured myself, since then.

But I want to hear you do one, Keith. Your voice is a closer match to Geoff, anyway, at least in my ears. Both he and you have gargantuan ranges.

I know I would sing it slightly differently. And it would sound differently, too, for I have not injured myself, since then.

But I want to hear you do one, Keith. Your voice is a closer match to Geoff, anyway, at least in my ears. Both he and you have gargantuan ranges.

I did do one. The link is in the first post in this thread lol

www.drop-head.com

Real good job keith i liked how you get geoffs little nuances. Dont be afraid of the high notes that you got a little light on. Go through them i think you will find the strength think down dont let go.

awesome job

Thanks Dan :)

www.drop-head.com

I have to admit that I am a 49 year old virgin to bands like Queensryche, Soundgarden, Whitesnake, Judas priest.... I was in a local band playing bass in the 80's. Playing in local honkeytonks. Everyone I knew was more into Lynyrd Skynyrd. I spent today looking up these bands on youtube. I missed out on a lot of good SH.. I will defenately be checking out more.

Keith....Ron you guys ROCK! Keith you can definately do those high parts without going light, and it would kick things up a couple of notches in an already killer cover.

Ron to me that was Awesome, some words I couldn't understand but I don't think I'm supposed to anyway.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Keith, I feel like an idoit, probably because I am one. I looked back into the thread to see that you started it off with one. Absolutely excellent. And, I noticed at the 5 minute mark or so, you even got some of Tate's cackle in the upper end. Seriously, you really need to put this cover on the next album. And, if you tour down here, and you don't sing that song, live, I will, in fact, climb up on the stage and be an embarrassment until you do so. And if you're guitar player doesn't want to play it, I will bring my own guitar, plug in and play it. Really, you need that song in your set list.

Thanks, M.

Here are the lyrics:

Awoke on impact under surveillance from the camera eye, searching high and low.

A criminal mind found at the scene of the crime. Handcuffed and blind, I didn't do it.

She said she loved me. I guess I never knew

But do we ever really know?

She said she'd meet meet me on the other side.

I knew right then, I'd never find her.

I don't believe in love.

I never have, I never will.

I don't believe in love.

It's never worth the pain that you feel.

No more nightmares, I've seen them all.

From the day I was born, they haunted my every move.

Every opening hand's there to push and shove.

No time for love, doesn't matter.

She made a difference, I guess she had a way

Of making every night seem bright as day.

I walk in shadows, never see the light.

I guess she lied 'cause she never said goodbye.

I don't believe in love. I never have, I never will.

I don't believe in love. I'll just pretend she never was real.

I don't believe in love. I need to forget her face, I see it still.

I don't believe in love. It's never worth the pain that you feel

bridge

No chance for contact, there's no raison d'etre.

My only hope is one day, I'll forget

the pain of knowing what can never be.

With or without love, it's all the same to me.

I don't believe in love. I never have, I never will.

I don't believe in love. I'll just pretend she never was real.

I don't believe in love. I need to forget her face, I see it still.

I don't believe in love. It's never worth the pain that you feel

feel,

pain that you feel,

feel.

(raison d'etre (pronounced rayzon det but the t is soft, almost not spoken, like a cessation of air) is french and roughly means "reason to be.")

Man, I thought there would be more submissions by now. I don't even sound like Tate. But I liked the song so much that I had learned to play on guitar, as well, years ago.

Then, again, Keith, maybe we're the only Queensryche fans here. So many are dead-set on getting "distortion" in their voice that Tate's clean style may simply not be their cup of tea.

Oh well, a toast to us both.

I just realized, we need to get Randy Loran to link in his video. Randy is one of Robert's students and a TVS instructor and after kicking out Geoff Tate, Queensryche should have hired him instead of this Torre guy.

Oops, I think I said that out loud, in my "outside" voice.

And actually, now that I think about it, I think Robert Lunte would knock this one out of the park.

yeah I'm definitely going to get a cover out soon, I've gotta decide which song to pick. I'm thinking Breaking the Silence, though I'm also leaning toward the Needle Lies...