Official Queensryche Cover Thread

• TMV World Legacy Member

Maybe this is the right place to ask this question.

Are there any easier QR song out there? I would like to participate, but I'm a beginner with quite limited range so I wouldn't want to break myself with something too over the top.

Unfortunately I have not listened to QR either, so I would like some help as to where to look for the "easier" ones.

Thanks! :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this is the right place to ask this question.

Are there any easier QR song out there? I would like to participate, but I'm a beginner with quite limited range so I wouldn't want to break myself with something too over the top.

Unfortunately I have not listened to QR either, so I would like some help as to where to look for the "easier" ones.

Thanks! :)

Hey Mivke. Others may disagree but I think one of the easiest is "Breaking the Silence." It is mid-range of tenor, upper end of baritone.

The other one, really good for legit baritones is "Silent Lucidity." In fact, approach that one as a baritone with countertenor for the higher stuff in that song, which is really no higher than "Breaking the Silence" or really, for that matter, "Della Brown."

I had my recorder out and thought I would take a few minutes to give this a shot.......6 hours later......I had to cheat. I haven't listened to Queensryche too much. My wife loves Silent Lucidity so she put up with me today. Today is the first time I really listened to this song. I got the backing track from Youtube. I will not be leaving this at soundcloud for too long.

I had to record a couple of verses at a time because I kept forgetting the melody and the words. I mean no disrespect to Queensryche or any of you. Listen at your own risk.

Critique is welcomed.

http://soundcloud.com/mdew/silent-lucidity-practice

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Fairly good, M, considering you essentially sight-sang it. That is, taking a song you have never heard before, in depth, and after one or two listens, sing it. I've done the same thing ( another band, another song), and received rather criticial reviews.

Learn to steer away from your deep southern accent. It will help your legato or flow from note to note. And interestingly enough, your pitch control got better the higher you went.

It sounded like you were fairly good on the pitch of the lowest notes, which, to me, are harder to do than the high notes. However, the eq or recording quality at that section left them a bit underpowered. But that's mixing strategy, not a singing fault. Also, for low pitches with low volume, you can get closer to the microphone. For mics have an effect. The farther away that you are, the less bottom end there is to the note.

This was very much like being dared at karaoke night at your favorite tavern to get up and sing a song you have never sung before. And doing a decent enough job, just for the one-off.

You may think you are a baritone but I am not convinced. I think you are probably either, at lowest, a lyric baritone, or more likely, because of the weight in your voice, a dramatic tenor. You usually seem to do best on the higher stuff. Although, perhaps that is because, on the higher notes, you have a brighter tone, which might be easier for you to hear. Your low notes may not be so audible to you and they wander.

I Totally missed out on Queensryche, WhiteSnake, DIO... During that era I was playing in local honkeytonks. Sometimes 4 nights a week. If it wasn't on the top 40 country chart or on a jukebox I didn't hear it. If we were rebelious we played Lynyrd Skynyrd. Anyway Had I actually heard these bands when they first came out I also would be a fan.

I wanted to participate in this thread because you all seem to be such fans. I did not think that I would do the song justice but I wanted to show that I was willing to try new things even if I might fail. I did better than I thought I would but I also had to re record it a lot of times and finally I said good enough for now.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Keith - sounded awsome! I really liked the vocal production too. very well recorded and produced. Great EQ, Compression and perfect choice and amount of reverb.

Interesting proposition with the one take idea. It will be interesting to hear everyone's version.

Keith - sounded awsome! I really liked the vocal production too. very well recorded and produced. Great EQ, Compression and perfect choice and amount of reverb.

Interesting proposition with the one take idea. It will be interesting to hear everyone's version.

Thanks :) I thought doing one take would help everyone see how different people handeled different issues on the fly. I hope you throw down a song for this thread ! You are certainly capable of nailing a QR song...

www.drop-head.com

I don't have a backing track for "Breaking the Silence" though I might try and look for one, too. Though my only resource would be youtube and some program to rip the audio into an mp3. But as for stacks of karaoke cd's, me no gottee.

Hey Mivke. Others may disagree but I think one of the easiest is "Breaking the Silence." It is mid-range of tenor, upper end of baritone.

The other one, really good for legit baritones is "Silent Lucidity." In fact, approach that one as a baritone with countertenor for the higher stuff in that song, which is really no higher than "Breaking the Silence" or really, for that matter, "Della Brown."

Thanks for the tips. I listened to "Breaking the Silence" and what an awsome song! It's above my level though, since I quite newly was just able to sing higher than a g#4... I might be able to try it pitched down though, we will see. I wouldn't want my first song contribution to be THAT much of an embaressment :P

I've never really listened to QR, so it will be hard for me to one-shot anything.

Other than that, my and Tate's voices have very few resemblances.

I'm listening to Queen of the Reich at the moment though. Quite simple melodies, and seems fun to sing. Might give it a try when I've got time :)

I am posting this for Thanos. He saw the thread and wanted to sing Queen of the Ryche. He emailed it to me, and I am posting it because it deserves to be heard. He has been very busy lately with personal stuff, but he still took the time to throw it together for us. Thanks Thanos!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11838116&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

I haven't heard from Thanos (akawrd) in ages. For those of you are new in the past year, Thanos is an angel. An angel who speaks greek and teaches ESL. It is because of him that I have any recording gear. For he ordered for me from the Music Store in Germany and had it shipped here, to the States. Guitarface II USB interface. Fame CM-1 condenser studio mic. Mic stand and holder. Pop filter. XLR to 1/4 plug cable. A really decent set of headphones. 1/8 plug to USB cable. And an unwavering belief in me and my voice. For that alone, he deserves angel status. (Are there saints in greek orthodox? I nominate Thanos, patron saint of singers.)

And he is an astounding singer, to boot. And did a great job on this one, a difficult song to do. It's all upper 4th into 5th octave.

Well done and a hard act to follow.

Ya, Thanos is an amazing singer, but this was not his best effort IMO. The enunciation is a bit slurry and the voice flutters in some places. He can do this better. I hear though, that he still has his amazing range and i really hope that we would hear from him more frequently in the future.

I couldn't manage a good "Another Rainy Night", so here is a decent Silent Lucidity (lol)

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11843025&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

Here is my contribution, a little bit of I dont believe in love..

https://www.box.com/s/d4f97adfa137f2e7358a

Don't expect too much, I'm a beginner and this song is not exactly in my comfort zone :)

I started taking lessons with Robert in April, and before that I had no experience other than singing back up vocals in various bands (guitar is my main instrument).. So even though it doesn't sound fantastic, I'm still quite happy because I couldn't sing this song at all a few months ago..

If anyone could give me some constructive feedback, I'd be really happy and would like to work on it and record a full version.

A really good job, considering you just started. You were in tune, which is most important, though you expressed a different melody line, here and there. Which is fine, as I did the same.

I don't know what it took for you to record but it sounded as if you could do this song without straining. That's also a good sign.

I think you are on the right path with the right teacher.

Thanks for listening Ron! I'm gonna try to record the whole

Song tomorrow evening.

I didn't intentionally change the vocal melody, so that is purely accidental. I didn't feel like I was straining, but I can't say I found it easy either. I tried very hard to modify vowels where appropriate, but at this stage I find it hard to sing totally relaxed when I'm focussing on my mouth and tongue position, and vowel modifications.

But i suppose that's just a case of practising until these things happen naturally. I'm

going to use this song for the next few months to

monitor my progress, as the exercises and lessons are definitely giving noticeable results.

Thanks again for listening, and I'll try to record a full version for you to hear!

Kiran

Hey Keith, my wife just listened to your version and really liked it. And that's her favorite QR song.

So, keep that in your live set. Or, put it in there..