How low to drop the jaw

Rate this topic

jco5055

Hey all, my friend was watching me sing onsets, and he's a singer himself, and he was trying to say that any kind of exaggerated/more movement in the lips/mouth than is necessary to speak a word is wasted in singing also. Obviously that's wrong, but this led me to start thinking about the dropped jaw. How low should it drop? I previously was singing with my mouth completely open, but have started wondering if I should only drop the jaw as open as I can relaxed, without forcing it down the extra inch or two for my mouth being completely open. I've looked at the book and videos, but the most clarification just seems to be "drop your jaw"

yes, only as low as relaxed. A general rule is 2 fingers but that might seem like too much for you. there is a balance between too open and tense or too closed so no sound comes out. So just think comfortable, never forcing it down.

Also try not to fix it on one position, just let it move naturally to make the sound you want to create. the jaw should be allowed to move freely. The main thing is to check that you are not pushing it forward, clenching or keeping it in a rigid and fixed position.

Hope this helps

yes, only as low as relaxed. A general rule is 2 fingers but that might seem like too much for you. there is a balance between too open and tense or too closed so no sound comes out. So just think comfortable, never forcing it down.

Also try not to fix it on one position, just let it move naturally to make the sound you want to create. the jaw should be allowed to move freely. The main thing is to check that you are not pushing it forward, clenching or keeping it in a rigid and fixed position.

Hope this helps

2 fingers?? Really? That's some EXTREME stretch. I have very long fingers so 2 fingers is 8 inch in length which seems extremely elongated.

I always thought it was 2 inch.

I'm generally of the just get the jaw out of the way mentality, hence drop it to where it feels comfortable. It should feel almost like you're falling asleep and about to drool a little bit out of your mouth.

When I'm belting, it drops lower than it otherwise would. But I don't force it down. It simply drops naturally in the process.