The passagio, bridging, connecting, and vocal "break"

Rate this topic

izzle1989

I am a firm believer that the area where the break occurs is the most important part of the voice to exercise. We all know that we must strengthen the head voice and the chest voice to have success, but I am noticing too many people who still use these voices separately.

The problem is we don't have enough strength/coordination to thin or thicken the vocal folds GRADUALLY instead of suddenly. Endless vocalizing in a head voice only coordination or a chest voice only setup will do nothing for eliminating this break except make it even bigger/more noticeable.

We must be patient and take it slow. There should be no flipping, bridging, or connecting. There should only be gradual thinning from thick to thin, thin to thick, black to white, white to black, light to dark, and dark to light.

This is how I see one voice as opposed to bridging, flipping, or mixing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's individual... (if passaggio is the hardest place etc)

The higher a note is, the more important it is to follow the rules (support, twang, vowel shading or modification, avoiding jaw tension etc). The voice doesn't want to hurt itself so for any beginner flipping to a lighter production around "passaggio" is for protection and it becomes the preferred mode of the voice. Once you teach your voice a different coordination there will be a new "preferred mode" (assuming of course you give it enough support, volume etc).

Everyone has a different voice and different issues which is why everyone seems to have solved their "passaggio issues" with different methods. IMO it's just the area where the rules start to matter and if you follow them it will be like your triangle.

After learning how to use full voice high the passaggio is no longer existing for me, it's a linear difficulty for me, a D4 is easier than an E4 which is easier than a G4 which is easier than a A4 and so forth. It's because the rules matter more the higher I go and when I don't obey them all notes get harder the higher they are. I have some issues I'm aware of and gonna sort out, but I don't like to view the voice as two registers.

I am not a teacher. I am just a begginer. It seems to be that if it is the shift and coordination between the two mechanisms that need strengthened then a light start with falsetto around D4 gradually shifting to a heavier chesty sound staying on the D4 and back to the lighter sound would help teach the mechanisms how to work together. Do this for awhile gradually increasing pitch to around F#4. until you are able to take it higher.

I think it's individual... (if passaggio is the hardest place etc)

The higher a note is, the more important it is to follow the rules (support, twang, vowel shading or modification, avoiding jaw tension etc). The voice doesn't want to hurt itself so for any beginner flipping to a lighter production around "passaggio" is for protection and it becomes the preferred mode of the voice. Once you teach your voice a different coordination there will be a new "preferred mode" (assuming of course you give it enough support, volume etc).

Everyone has a different voice and different issues which is why everyone seems to have solved their "passaggio issues" with different methods. IMO it's just the area where the rules start to matter and if you follow them it will be like your triangle.

After learning how to use full voice high the passaggio is no longer existing for me, it's a linear difficulty for me, a D4 is easier than an E4 which is easier than a G4 which is easier than a A4 and so forth. It's because the rules matter more the higher I go and when I don't obey them all notes get harder the higher they are. I have some issues I'm aware of and gonna sort out, but I don't like to view the voice as two registers.

I agree with you to an extent.

If the changes were gradual from the lowest note of the chest voice to the middle voice then it wouldn't be a break into falsetto. We often try to hold on to a fixed position of the vocal folds which causes a break to occur. If we learn to let the folds thin without over thinning all at once we would not have a break.

im putting my faith in loads of slides, as god knows this is an area i need to work on :(. don't know of any better exercises to help with this....

Slides are great. The slower the better and the harder they are to do.

Yeah but having the folds thin gradually is a natural side effect of doing everything right. We can't control TA/CT muscles with our minds, if you do everything right your voice will follow.

Just focus on the stuff you can change like support, twang, vowels etc.

I also feel we are beating a dead horse here.

I am not a teacher. I am just a begginer. It seems to be that if it is the shift and coordination between the two mechanisms that need strengthened then a light start with falsetto around D4 gradually shifting to a heavier chesty sound staying on the D4 and back to the lighter sound would help teach the mechanisms how to work together. Do this for awhile gradually increasing pitch to around F#4. until you are able to take it higher.

No it is not a shift in the two mechanisms it is much more detailed than that. It will have to be much more detailed than that if you truly want to eliminate the break instead of just "hiding" it.

It's like counting from 1-100 without skipping any numbers. Since we know that we usually break around number 51 we usually try to change or skip it by singing a 52 or 53 like the number 51.

Yeah but having the folds thin gradually is a natural side effect of doing everything right. We can't control TA/CT muscles with our minds, if you do everything right your voice will follow.

Just focus on the stuff you can change like support, twang, vowels etc.

I also feel we are beating a dead horse here.

Honestly I feel that I can do this just by simply changing pitch. Maybe I'm just more in tune with my body than most people, but I don't know....All I know is I can feel each and every gradual change when I am doing things right. As long as the tone is clear we are using the TA and as long as we are able to change pitch we are using the CT. We can't use one without the other.

Yeah in a way, because higher notes feel like smaller notes even though they don't sound that way.

Anyway you can't simply use logic to force feed your beliefs on everyone (don't get me wrong, I agree with you and I always do this myself) - but invetitably someone will always disagree with you no matter how logical your argument is or how much proof you've got. I think one thread on this is enough :)

I agree that it is more detailed but still gradually changing from one mechanism to the other will strengthen their bond and their coordination. GRADUALLY being the important word teaching your body to release from one into the other. If you start on a note that is comfortable in both mechanisms you will be able to feel that shift happening and also feel where other constrictions are happening and what you need to do to releave them.

I am not a teacher or a student. But a shifting from one mechanism to the other and back again for an exorcise will strengthen the coordination regardless of what else may be involved.

Yeah in a way, because higher notes feel like smaller notes even though they don't sound that way.

Anyway you can't simply use logic to force feed your beliefs on everyone (don't get me wrong, I agree with you and I always do this myself) - but invetitably someone will always disagree with you no matter how logical your argument is or how much proof you've got. I think one thread on this is enough :)

I understand you completely, but we can't forget that there are new members joining each day that will ask about these issues. Besides that point I feel that people are still missing the boat. You may understand my logic, but there are tons of other people who don't understand this at all.

I don't want to always spend my time debating with you just informing the people who don't know.

I'm slow in my responses cause I'm supposed to be working. I am not just trying to butt heads. I agree with you Izzle We need to train for the gradual shift, both mechanisms working together.

Think back to when you could not do a gradual shift. When that dreaded break was driving you up the wall. What was the most beneficial exorcise that you did to eliminate the "break". That is the thread that I would like to see.

I'm slow in my responses cause I'm supposed to be working. I am not just trying to butt heads. I agree with you Izzle We need to train for the gradual shift, both mechanisms working together.

Think back to when you could not do a gradual shift. When that dreaded break was driving you up the wall. What was the most beneficial exorcise that you did to eliminate the "break". That is the thread that I would like to see.

Slides and lip rolls. I still break every now and then when I am tired.

I understand you completely, but we can't forget that there are new members joining each day that will ask about these issues. Besides that point I feel that people are still missing the boat. You may understand my logic, but there are tons of other people who don't understand this at all.

I don't want to always spend my time debating with you just informing the people who don't know.

Right and that is an admirable goal, helping all the newcomers. If you really want to help them, how about contacting a moderator and making a stickied thread with links to important/good/valuable discussions that are useful to newbies and answers frequent questions (a "read this before posting" thread maybe).

Creating the same thread over and over is a futile attempt because if newcomers are not competent enough to use the search function then what will you do when this thread hits the second page? Make another one? I also fail to see how creating a new thread on the same topic will help make things clearer, why not just continue in the other thread with the same purpose?

Don't have anything else to add, aideu

Right and that is an admirable goal, helping all the newcomers. If you really want to help them, how about contacting a moderator and making a stickied thread with links to important/good/valuable discussions that are useful to newbies and answers frequent questions (a "read this before posting" thread maybe).

Creating the same thread over and over is a futile attempt because if newcomers are not competent enough to use the search function then what will you do when this thread hits the second page? Make another one? I also fail to see how creating a new thread on the same topic will help make things clearer, why not just continue in the other thread with the same purpose?

Don't have anything else to add, aideu

Great point, but I like this debate so I will keep it going.

Lip rolls and slides are good. It's more natural for me to start them on a low note. For tongue trills I naturally start high. They are harder to do when I go to the lower range. So i'm am constantly trying to go for a lower note without breaking.

hi folks,

i want to jump in here and tell everyone on the forum that we should be glad we have guys like izzle and others who are trying real hard, working through issues....zealous, hard working, participants who not only want to get better at this, but want to help others as well.

izzle is one of the greatest participants this forum has had in a long time. let's not shoot him down or his enthusiasm.

hi folks,

i want to jump in here and tell everyone on the forum that we should be glad we have guys like izzle and others who are trying real hard, working through issues....zealous, hard working, participants who not only want to get better at this, but want to help others as well.

izzle is one of the greatest participants this forum has had in a long time. let's not shoot him down or his enthusiasm.

Thanks Bob I really appreciate that.

hi folks,

I agree and I for one am not trying to shoot anyone down. There is no debate if there is only one side.

I am a newby so I ask questions and make statements from a newby's viewpoint. Also I look at things as someone who has not been trained and do not see things as this is the way it is because my teacher told me so.

That last statement was not aimed at anyone on this forum, something from my past, that was WRONG. I question things.

I agree and I for one am not trying to shoot anyone down. There is no debate if there is only one side.

I am a newby so I ask questions and make statements from a newby's viewpoint. Also I look at things as someone who has not been trained and do not see things as this is the way it is because my teacher told me so.

That last statement was not aimed at anyone on this forum, something from my past, that was WRONG. I question things.

I am glad that you question things!

If not for all of the questions I have asked in my past I would not be where I am today. Ask all of the questions you possibly can and never settle for an answer until you have done 100 of hours of your own research.

There are a lot of people who think they know what they are talking about and I am the type of person that would never disclose information unless I knew it was correct. I can boast about what type of certifications I have or my credibility, but I can say that I am very in tune with anatomy and physiology and everything I preach comes from that standpoint first.