lip roll tongue position

Rate this topic

shrunkenhead

Hello, when doing lip rolls I cant seem to make my lips roll without pulling my tongue to the back of my throat and I cant do tongue rolls at all. Is this proper technique it does not feel relaxed to me but I can hit the notes ok. Are lip rolls necessary or can I just keep my larnyx in the position as when I do the exercise and just hum the scales.

Yes, Id say its necessary. Even if you dont use them, you should be able to do them. Specially because this is telling you that your tongue is doing more than it should on the phonation process.

How to release this tension is something different, find a teacher to help you.

Lip rolls are excellent - but they are one of several semi-occludeds. I like them because they do a great job of regulating the amount of air used and creating back pressure. Some people may have very thin lips, making it more difficult to vibrate the lips - and this extra effort could increase tension which is not good. You'd want to decouple the tension from the lips to other parts of your vocal tract. Others that do a good job are tongue trills like the the one used in Italian R's. And "Z"'s. I've heard that Humming will also work but I don't know if that creates the back pressure as well.

Hey I put my tongue to the back of my teeth and it works great the vibration even seems to massage where I imaging my vocal cords to be. So back pressure is the reason why i want to do lip bubbles great.

Now some more questions i am reading frissels baritone voice and although I am not very far in p34 I understand that there are now 2 registers and to exercise from top down is the best for someone trying to develop a head voice that can later be connected to chest voice. does this mean that i should do the lip bubbles from the top down and not ascend or can i ascend but keep everything in head voice.

also when doing lip bubbles should i run all of the vowels( i know they are not supposed to be clear).

I am trying to develop a more powerful head voice as my chest and what i thought was my middle register are comfortable to me but maybe not the best tone all the time although my pitch is good.