Twang

Rate this topic

Matt

Thanks for that Steven. I'll have to look when I get to sit down later. I had a feeling I wasn't getting that on the right spot. However, I knew the LCA were the main actors, and the IA fine-tuned the job. I'll look into how it works. I'm fairly certain on the IA pulling SLIGHTLY backwards. They don't stretch the folds, just keep it taut. I'll look it back up and get back on it.

Steven,

I see that I may have phrased it a little wrong...sorry about that.

What I ment was that it's possible to twang on a breathy note (in regards to BeyondTenor's comment).

And the sound is mainly a product of the narrowing of the epilaryngeal area. I don't know how much the IA is activated during this. As far as I know the activation of IA is not the main contributor to the effect of twang. Twang is mainly an acoustic effect of a change in vocal tract shape than it is a vocal fold adduction effect. :)

Steven,

I see that I may have phrased it a little wrong...sorry about that.

What I ment was that it's possible to twang on a breathy note (in regards to BeyondTenor's comment).

And the sound is mainly a product of the narrowing of the epilaryngeal area. I don't know how much the IA is activated during this. As far as I know the activation of IA is not the main contributor to the effect of twang. Twang is mainly an acoustic effect of a change in vocal tract shape than it is a vocal fold adduction effect. :)

Martin H: Hey, no problem.

Interesting comment on twang. As a concept, Its really very new to me, as I am classically trained, and have only recently engaged in learning the lingo of the non-classical vocalists (represented so well here) with sounds of singing. The first example I had received of it (from TMV-er Elrathion) was strongly adducted.

If, as you say, twang can be breathy, and is produced by vocal tract shaping, then I agree that it is a resonance adjustment. This makes me curious, though, how a tone which is lacking in upper partial amplitudes (such as breathy tone must be) can still have enough energy in those frequency ranges to 'make the twang'. Could you send me (or point me to) an MP3 example (or embedded youtube or yahoo post) of yourself or another singer making the 'breathy, but twangy' sound? I'll put it through the spectragraphic software, and post the waveform in this thread, so so we can see the acoustic profile of the production.

This idea also prompts another question in my mind. If 'twang' is solely the product of epilaryngeal configuration, and independent of the vowel, then Operatic Baritones and Basses should have lots of it. However, if there are aspects of the vowel which are important to 'twang', then it makes me curious as to whether its an 'either-or' situation, or one of them is sufficient. To facilitate this, I would be happy to post some examples of some fine singers from that genre,and let folks judge whether the tone has twang or not.

Here is a clip of me singing breathy notes with twang :

http://www.box.net/shared/socmuce943

In regards to different vowels here are some breathy twanged vowels :

http://www.box.net/shared/c9c8ga84tz

Bonus ;) Here is a clip of breathy notes with exagerated twang which gives it a distorted breathy sound :

http://www.box.net/shared/dff2n1minh

NB. It's a balance act to twang breathy notes !!