Some videos of some peepes I know at a Karaoke bar.

Rate this topic

Keith

It was requiring me to upload a recent upgrade of flash player. I'm a bit skiddish of Frankenstein bogging down.

Maybe I will take a chance, anyway. Although, others may say that it's not possible to sing well without singing lessons, I am a bad man, I've done bad things, giving people the benefit of the doubt and I'll bet they are good, even without lessons. It happens, sometimes.

Oops, tried, but the flash player upgrade would not open for me.

However, Keith, if you thought it was good, I am sure it was. Better yet, if you can rip it as a sound file and send it to me, that would be cool.

I thought the guy was pretty good at conveying feeling. His voice did splat a little as soon as he ascended a little, so it didnt sound schooled to me, though. Edit: I have roughly the same opinion of leslie, too

I watched them, and same opinion I have of most untrained singers. They mostly sing well, but don't do anything to impress me. The guy singing Faithfully actually doesn't sound half bad on those heavily distorted high notes he's singing, and it's a better rendition than I could've done before I started taking lessons. But he's still clearly pushing those high notes. Steve Perry's greatness comes from the fact that he can jump into that upper register seamlessly, and you really need to be able to do that if you want to do an awesome Journey cover.

Steve Perry also made very liberal use of vowel modification in order to get a rich and powerful tone. Some would even argue that he did this at the expense of the listener being able to clearly understand the lyrics in some of Journey's songs, but that's another story entirely. You can tell this guy isn't going to do a spectacular Journey rendition the second he starts singing those splatty closed vowels, rather than modified ones.

Like most things, you really need some formal instruction to get really good at singing. Are there exceptions? Of course there are exceptions. Freddie Mercury ostensibly never had a voice lesson in his life. But exceptions are just that, exceptions. Most great singers have had some degree of training.

I didn't listen to all of them. The first guy I listened to started out good, then wavered through the rest, The guy who sang Joe Cocker, You are So Beautiful, was good. I head a little of "Crazy" and that was good also.

Listenned to Herman and Leslie. I like it, they sound great on the songs I listenned. If I went to a bar and one of them was performing like that with a band, I would sit down and enjoy, very nice to listen.

Technically, I see no point evaluating except if its the person that is asking for a review, its pedant and useless.

My advice is: If you listen and like it, keep track of the reasons why you do so instead of looking for flaws.

Well, being someone who sings karaoke I give them all credit, if they sing seriously. I don't like when people get up there to joke around. I take my own singing very seriously and at this stage of my life , my schedule and other life factors my only outlet for singing live is karaoke. But I don't do it like many typical karaoke singers. I never choose songs from the song book. I bring my own discs and only sing songs I know well and have practiced/rehearsed (which i do by posting them here). I don't like to "stand there" and look at the monitor reading the words. I like to put on a show as if there is a band behind me. So for those in these clips that also really want to sing, and are getting up there and doing their best, more power to em'. It isn't an easy thing for most. And if they aren't contributing to giving karaoke singers a bad name by goofing off and making it a joke, then sing on compadre's. :)

I work with a music snob. He is a really good musician (guitar and piano I think) and singer but he kind of laughs at anyone else. He also has perfect pitch. If he listens to anyone else, he has a shit eating grin on his face like he is critiquing in his mind. His first day on the job someone said hey Tommy tell him about that karaoke thing you did that time. And he said, "only people who can't sing do karaoke." Personally I have seen one or two pro's get up there and entertain the crowd.

Anyway....good thread Keith and rock on to all those aspiring singers who got up there to sing without training. That makes it more difficult. At least with a little training comes a little confidence.

Keith, I really apologize if my comments came off as dickish. You said to let us know what you think, and usually on this forum that means critique. But my bad if I misunderstood.

Let me say what I have to say in a more positive light. I think they're good singers. I think they could be great singers if they worked on technique a bit. Spending some time on this forum is certainly a step in that direction.

And again, I sure as hell couldn't do any better before I started training. Hell, sometimes I still don't sing wonderfully.

having been on both sides of the fence, i sang in bands with absolutely no clue what i was doing, coming close to a major deal, and now with some training and most of all study behind me...you can hear the difference between just really good and pro-caliber vocalists.

the sad reality is a good singer is a dime a dozen, there are thousands upon thousands of good singers out there.

to me the biggest difference is one of "refinement." even in balls to wall rock, there is still an underlying refinement.

there is an "efficiency" to the voice, a "maximization." from the very onset to the last audible detail of the line sung.

there's a consitency and an accuracy factor.