Mix Open Vowels

Rate this topic

DoverOs

Some of that has to do with formants if I am not mistaken. The howling / ringing are overtones (again, this could be incorrect).

I think with my lower notes, I am better at making more open or overtone sound. I think I'll try working the open sound slowly upwards.

How in the world do you take a mix note that is very small and sounds covered, and turn it into open and howly tones?

i admit, i'm the only one who doesn't really understand dover's question....lol!!!!

dover, the "howly" throws me.....lol!!!

are you saying you want to learn to lean into and swell the tone?

are you trying to apply more fold compression?

Er well I mean, The notes sound open enough that you can get howly sounds without it sounding strained. I don't know how to explain it really, but it's like adding a howly style to an already open sound. Open is primarily what I'm trying to get better at.

and thanks everyone for the advice.

"The next step is to learn to twang on an "eh" vowel, increase the respiratory velocity, tune formants, increase TA activity, etc. "

"or you could just practice singing:D"

Daniel, sure thats right but people tend to be diffrent learningtypes, some can just sing and figure stuff out on their own. Some respond verywell to imaginary tools to Find the sounds they want,some are just great at mimicing and others(like me) needs to know the science behind it to be able to "get it".

dover, another way to strenghten mix is to simply cry, cry just like a baby would cry...free and loud but out of the throat.

don't worry about a specific scale. just practise crying at various pitches and go for a sound like "neeah"

like when you overhear little kids in a schoolyard (if there not on their cell phone lol!!!!) and they say something like "sally has no ice cream.........neeah nah, nah, nah, nah......

and make it a bit nasal and shrill and most of all loud. this will help develop the mix.

and make it a bit nasal and shrill and most of all loud. this will help develop the mix.

More great advice. Whatever you want to call it; pharyngeal, twang, singing in the mask; that type of resonance the most important thing to train if you want a super powerful mix. Then you just simply open the throat, as if yawning, behind that and it sounds like singing again instead of whining, meowing, quacking. But if you never go to that whiny/meowy/quacky place and really strengthen it, you'll never get the power you want. The power comes probably 70% from that, and 30% from an open throat to darken the tone back into something beefy.

I knew my whole problem was that my larynx was too high and that was causing things to constrict and not open enough. I never thought yawning would help like it does in my opera style, but I tried to add this yawn to my singing, and my voice immediately responded. It helped me open up and now I can sing all my notes without any problems. thanks!.

Awesome! Yeah, you can absolutely use a dark tone without sounding operatic as long as you don't overdo the vibrato. Or you can achieve a tone that has an open throat but doesn't sound dark. If you open both the throat and the mouth up a lot, it tends to create a good balance, not too dark, not too bright.

ya, I wasn't letting myself lose any support though. Nice and balanced. So glad I can prevent my muscles from raising and constricting too much.