Gethsemane- Jesus Christ Superstar

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi,

I wanted to record this song for a long time, definitely one of the best compositions I've heard. I find it very difficult and diverse.

I know some of you also made a cover of this tune. If you want, you can paste the links here for debate.

Critique is welcome!

https://www.box.com/s/a43774b80734912b1d16

I enjoyed it very much. I wasn't so happy about the harmonies though. I don't really know why.

Mabye it was because of one of them were too high volume. Dunno.

I was very impressed with the highnotes and the distortion.

Realy impressive voice but not quite right performance of the song in my opinion. You have to remember, that it's a half-preyer and half speech to a father, and mostly it doesn't sound like one, but sometimes you get the point, but rarely comparing to the lenght of the song.

Gonna conquer the world ]:-|

DJ, totally awesome. I have a feeling some have not seen Ted Neely's live stage performance. I have. And you nailed it. Totally dead on, with the exception that you have some production values and backing vocal on some, as opposed to Ted's true solo performance on stage. You sound quite a bit like him in this recording.

I like your version better than mine.

I recorded mine over a year ago, just me and the guitar, simulataneously. And messed up the lyrics but just kept a-rolling. I had sheet music years ago that had it keyed in Bbm and that's the way I learned it and played it.

I have a feeling that Doc would not like mine since the sub-text of mine is a child who is not at all happy with his fate. I don't go for the Balsamo meek thing. Mine is like yours in feeling, some anger, credulence, etc.

But I have a feeling you have already heard mine. Maybe Lunte can be talked into posting his version, another one of my faves.

Thanks for the feedback!

Rofleren: I added the harmonies last minute, maybe it wasn't the best decision:)

Dr. Evil: Maybe you're right... I think there is uncountable ways of interpreting this song - the original is mostly 'sang', while f.ex. Ted Neeley version comes closer to a prayer, sometimes it's almost spoken, there's more acting in it. I think I'm somewhere in between on this scale.

Ron, Owen: Neeley's version is my favourite, it's nice that you hear some similarities, but I don't think I can come close to it. I get tears in my eyes every time I listen to his New York live performance... Ron, maybe you could post a link to your interpretation here?

Owen: I've been working with 4 Pillars for about 6 months, but definitely not as intensively as I should. Are you also training with it? If yes, I'm sure it will grant you the range that you need to sing Gethsemane:)

That was great man. Along with the others who have mentioned Neeley, I also heard him in there. Intentionally, or unintentionally, you really captured some of his nuances. I had just been listening to (and enjoying) Neeley's live performance on YouTube recently, so it's very fresh in my mind! love the production too, nice and crisp sounding, Nice reverb too.

May I enquire as to the mic you use?

If you really wish it, DJ.

Again, I recorded this over a year ago, fouled the lyrics, too brazen to stop, and I stomped the mic.

But it is a song I enjoy singing.

"Gethsemane" from Jesus Christ, Superstar

http://www.box.com/s/cf70e1c52a6f7505f6f8