Being able to sing higher?

Rate this topic

LuiC345

I just discovered some new things I couldn't do before with songs I couldn't sing.

I just done High School Musical and I was playing Chad. I noticed that some of his notes that he sings in the stage version are tenor, I think.

So I sang a few songs, like High Flying Adored from Evita, Michael Buble songs, etc.

A year ago, I could not sing them before, but now I could easily. Before, I'd at least break into falsetto or pull up chest.

I checked a few things whenever I sang these songs:

My larynx does very little movement on these higher notes

I feel some sort of shift in resonace going upwards

But when I sing, I feel like there's a sky above me, but I can only jump and hold on to one part and grudually fall down due to gravity (That's the best way to describe it). Back then, it was just a ceiling.

However, whenever I sing High Flying Adored, the lines where you have to sing:

All this would be yours

That you become the lady of them all

Were there stars in your eyes

When you crawled in at night

From the bars, from the sidewalks

Especially on the high notes on this passage, it sounds like I'm yelling it, yet it doesn't hurt, and I can speak afterwards. Listen to the song, and you'll kinda get my drift.

If I were to pull up chest, it would actually hurt like it did a year before and my voice would break apart.

Since it's a new part to my voice, I still have to practise... but does that mean I have improved... or am I missing something?

Thanks!

It sounds like you have improved if you are singing songs easily that you couldn't sing a year ago.... Way to go.

Not sure you should feel like 'yelling' though. Maybe you haven't got things quite right. Do you feel a nice 'twang' or resonance just behind your nose. That's were a good and safe 'belt' is going to come from

It feels more like a release... like a twang or resonance that you described. Does that mean I'm improving? Like I said, it doesn't hurt, and back then it would hurt and would go into falsetto.

Plus in terms of volume, it's actually not loudly sung, it's almost speech-like.

I just discovered some new things I couldn't do before with songs I couldn't sing.

I checked a few things whenever I sang these songs:

My larynx does very little movement on these higher notes

I feel some sort of shift in resonace going upwards

But when I sing, I feel like there's a sky above me, but I can only jump and hold on to one part and grudually fall down due to gravity (That's the best way to describe it). Back then, it was just a ceiling.

Especially on the high notes on this passage, it sounds like I'm yelling it, yet it doesn't hurt, and I can speak afterwards. Listen to the song, and you'll kinda get my drift.

If I were to pull up chest, it would actually hurt like it did a year before and my voice would break apart.

Since it's a new part to my voice, I still have to practise... but does that mean I have improved... or am I missing something?

Thanks!

And the clouds part, the sun shines, and the angels sing, "Amen!"

Your note is in the head, the push, if any, is coming from the abs. And nothing the throat, relatively stable. Seems like I've heard that before. ;)

Hey Fire, too many people stay down on themselves all the time. Reward is the surest way to reinforce a good habit. It's called operant conditioning. All creatures avoid punishment and seek reward. Even if they are doing something that seems punishing to you or me, it is rewarding to them.

So, it could be a pint of ice cream, a moon pie, just take some pride in a job well done. But it all boils down to pride. Even those who are continually berating themselves are doing so to feel proud that they are "humble enough."

What type of reward are you talking about when you say this?

any vocal progress should be rewarded by yourself as ron says, whatever would feel good. but do this!

say "today i did this or that which i couldn't do before....

sometimes progress is slow, so feel good about your accomplishment.