Too much air going out?

Rate this topic

LuiC345

So, as I sing, I noticed that I have blow out a lot of air after a certain phrase. In physics, the vocal folds close and do their stuff by air going through them.

It's kinda the same for me, but it seems that there's too much air behind my vocal folds, and then they escape afterwards.

If you study SLS or Brett Manning, you know "the less air as you go higher" rule.

But I feel I may be consuming too much air, even though at times I am self-conscious that I only consumed little air.

What can I do to crush this bad habit?

I tried to listen to it in a recording, but can't seem to pick up any. I'll try my best sometime.

But I guess it's a breath support thing... I seem to think about breathing, even though it's natural to me.

Notice how songs don't have those "gasps" when they sing? I think that's me. I gasp, possibly getting too much air... Could that be possible?

Yep, you're close. I guess I do need to work on my cord closure... it's there, but not strong enough. Thank you for the advice.

Just a side question, I notice when I sing I've got this "lighter" voice, and it feels light and is close to my head voice territory. Is this my mix voice?

Actually, it's got some chesty feel into it. I'd know if I was in falsetto. It feels like a light chest voice, but it's too light for chest... so am I in a mix voice, then? Sorry, if I haven't got a clip for evidence, but it's evident when I sing.

yes, it could be a light mix. according to frisell, only an experienced singer or voice teacher can distinguish between a light mix and a detached head voice.

being in a stronger mix is much more apparant within the notes of the passagio (generally e4 to a4) where both chest and head voice musculatures have to work together. you will need more support in this area and more breath pressure if you are going to sing strongly within this range.

just remember a mix as both head and chest voice musculatures involved in varying degrees in the production of the tones.