Losing resonance in head voice

Rate this topic

dk1021

I've been having this problem lately. I'm able to resonate very well in a belt/heavy mix, but as I go higher, the resonance disappears (in full voice). It feels like there's a lid or ceiling inside my head and the sound is refusing to let go and feels trapped.

My support is fine, my throat is open with a higher soft palate.

I have no idea how to fix it, and I've been kinda experimenting with no avail

interesting approach owen,

without knowing the words it's harder to say.....it also depends on your particular voice, but i would suggest you lift it up out of the throat and sent it up and back and go with the "oo" straight. the "oo" will narrow you and let you through if you lower the larynx and open up the throat and let some head voice musculature take over.

you're at a note and vowel that is head voice oriented. it has to narrow..if it stays in the throat you'll be banging into resistance.

assuming the word was "food"...sing "foo" ......barely touch the "f"...... ride on the "oo"..... and drop the "d."

Bob, he sang an E4 in the clip though...and he said he was a beginner, so I figure he just did the wrong octave number. I'd have a whole different modification suggestion if he was going for an E5. dk1021, can you confirm which octave it is? The one in the file, or the one up in high metal scream territory?

If you meant an actual E5, definitely keep it more narrow and hooty. Just modify it to an "OO" as in book. Or similar variant. Whatever vowel shade you need up there to get that type of resonance you hear in choir sopranos, where every vowel sounds the same and those notes are louder than the rest of the choir, do you know what I mean? It's a flutey timbre.

I honestly just went by the note on the piano, and the 2nd E after middle C. Maybe I just have a bad ear.

And no, I don't really want a heavy metal scream territory. I want the note to have a definitive chest sound, but not too heavy like the clip I posted (I've been kinda experimenting with it a little bit)

I've been having this problem lately. I'm able to resonate very well in a belt/heavy mix, but as I go higher, the resonance disappears (in full voice). It feels like there's a lid or ceiling inside my head and the sound is refusing to let go and feels trapped.

My support is fine, my throat is open with a higher soft palate.

I have no idea how to fix it, and I've been kinda experimenting with no avail

dk1021: Now that we know what note and vowel is being discussed, its very common for that combination to be difficult for a lower-voiced male. Pure oo on that note cannot be belted, as the main vowel resonance is already below the 2nd harmonic: you are already in the passaggio, no longer in chest voice.

The technique to maintain volume and consistency of tone in this part of the vocal range relies on two elements: use of twang/singers formant, and subtle vowel modification. While the dark oo (as in cool or school) is problematic, a very small modification toward the oo as in foot or put will be more resonant. Another approach is to continue to sing the oo as you would, but allow the jaw to drop somewhat. This raises the frequency of that resonance to a more closer alignment with the 2nd harmonic. Which approach you chose to use for the vowel mod is up to you.

Consistency of twang in this area helps to retain the high-frequency resonances, and sustains power. If you dial back the volume of the areas just below this, so that the volume of the problem area is matched by the easier area (rather than the other way around) you will have built some consistency.

I hope this is helpful.