Silent Lucidity (2)

• TMV World Legacy Member

I had done this one a few months back, but on a few of the higher notes I would go straight to falsetto. Thanks to one of Roberts special training exerises, I am able to sing the whole song now without flipping. Also, my voice has gotten more powerful - and I did not take any time to retune my recording stuff to my present level, so I am sorry about the mix.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11843025&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

Thanks Olem! I thought it was ok, I was more conentrating on not clipping my stuff than singing lol. I've got this weird resonance thing going on that projects my voice pretty hard. Had to concentrate on the "suddenly, you'll hear and see a magic new dimension" part. It is still hard for me to sing that note, but the good news is - I can sing it lol.

www.drop-head.com

A stellar performance shines, even in a quick mix. And this be stellar. Dude, I got chills.

Seriously, you really, really, really need to cover this on the next album. If your band won't do it, do a solo album and put it on that. It sounded perfect to me. Right intonation, and of course, that full bottom end that you got, which really makes this song special. You did the high notes perfectly and, as near as I can tell, the same way that Geoff does them. I know it's not your aim to sound like him but this was eerily close. An accident of genetics, learning from a program that can take just about anyone from baritone to the top of tenor range, or a combo of both (most likely).

Well done.

Had to concentrate on the "suddenly, you'll hear and see a magic new dimension" part. It is still hard for me to sing that note, but the good news is - I can sing it lol.

Good job on that line Keith. That is exactly the line (and the matching notes later in the song) that keeps me from singing that song the "Master of illusion, can you realize..." part.

A stellar performance shines, even in a quick mix. And this be stellar. Dude, I got chills.

Seriously, you really, really, really need to cover this on the next album. If your band won't do it, do a solo album and put it on that. It sounded perfect to me. Right intonation, and of course, that full bottom end that you got, which really makes this song special. You did the high notes perfectly and, as near as I can tell, the same way that Geoff does them. I know it's not your aim to sound like him but this was eerily close. An accident of genetics, learning from a program that can take just about anyone from baritone to the top of tenor range, or a combo of both (most likely).

Well done.

Thanks Ron. Back when I was marrried, about 6 years ago, my wife heard me singing along to the CD Operation Mindcrime (at least the parts I was able to sing along to) - and she told me that I should start singing more because I sounded very similar to Geoff. I thought she was saying that because, well, she was my wife! (lol) Anyway, thanks for listening bro! Im DJing a local club thursday, and Im taking my karaoke rig with me. Maybe I'll give it a try live.

~Keith

www.drop-head.com

Well, it's not just because she was your wife and might have been biased. You do sound like him, quite a bit, though just a smidge different, enough to be your own identifiable voice.

Face it, you are just a really good singer. I condemn you to live with that burden.

Very, very nice Keith!

I hear more of you in this than on all other recordings you sent. You sound much more free and confident. This is not an easy song, and its comming quite nice. Maybe that higher section was difficult due to the need to concentrate, but to my ears, sound free and very nice, does not sound as a struggle at all!

I do hear some very different strategies that you employing, and that are very wise :). And up there, its sounding VERY good, keep it up!

I like this quite a bit, one question however, when you are adding vibrato to the notes, it seems as though you are dropping and picking the note back up, rather than changing the pitch. Is this intentional?

I like this quite a bit, one question however, when you are adding vibrato to the notes, it seems as though you are dropping and picking the note back up, rather than changing the pitch. Is this intentional?

Thanks or listening! Um, not sure about the vibrato thing - I just kinda let it happen. I don't hear the notes dropping out. But I listen to it on 1,000 watt flat monitors also lol. I'll listen later through my headphones and se if I hear it.

www.drop-head.com

Lol thanks. However, Geoff Tate was thrown it of Queensryche a few weeks ago. The have Todd La Torre Now. Also, he has recently been charged with using old DAT's with Geoff Tates voice on them for some songs lol. He has of course denied it.

http://www.eddietrunk.com/index.cfm?pk=view&cd=NAA&cdid=437238&pid=400512

www.drop-head.com

There is also talk of law suit because of how the split happened. But, for now, according to one court, Tate and the remaining band members may still use the QR logo, though Tate will sub-line his with "With the Voice of Geoff Tate."

And yes, Todd cannot quite do what Geoff does. It's common for bands to use loops for backing vocals. When Queen plays "Bohemian Rhapsody," they use a loop that leads up to that high squealing note. On the record, that note is actually sung by drummer Roger Taylor. But in concert, he is too busy to concentrate on it.

However, there is the accusation that Todd La Torre is using it more than that. And, for a while, the band was playing as Rising West. And could not access the official QR facebook page.

Meanwhile, Geoff has been doing an "unplugged" tour. Acoustic versions of some of the hits, of which "Silent Lucidity" would have to be a given. Plus some new stuff he has been writing.

I just listened to your song Keith, I actually like it better than the original. The mix could have been better but you already know that. I like the fact that your voice didn't get lost in the background.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."