vowel modification for low notes

Rate this topic

Depends on what you call vowel modification.

Changing one vowel into another, by thinking on another vowel, is what I know as vowel modification and should be used only for interpretative purposes. Low or high.

On the other hand, all vowels should be trainned to be defined into more efficient postures, through the range, so, changes are done to them, but right on the source. The ee I use to sing does not exist on my spoken voice, but I still think just ee.

So which is it?

gina, you really don't need to modify the same way you might in the higher range because in the higher range it's done a lot for release.

but you may find a subtle shading of a vowel in the lower range might be just the thing to improve the tone or enhance resonance.

yeh, Just a subtle shading, interesting, thanks. I was just wondering if it worked the same as bridging and head notes cause I was having a play around and found a very subtle open vowel 'uh' from 'ooh' slightly improved the tone but still kept the meaning of the word. I'm talking a D3 here so very low for myself.

Your responses helped, thanks guys

Gina, my suggestion is that you play around with different configurations and decide what you like. I don't believe it's ever necessarily "right" or "wrong" to modify a vowel on any pitch. Vowel modification is generally a decision of how big/small and/or how dark/bright, how beautiful/not beautiful you want the tone to be. But that's not always the case. When I sing country or southern rock, I modify my vowels rather heavily to give the illusion that I have a southern drawl.

Sometimes when we modify vowels, there is a tradeoff that the audience may not be able to understand our lyrics quite as well. But ask yourself: is it really essential that the audience hear whatever word you're singing exactly as it would be spoken?

For example, here's The Kinks singing "You really got me"

Notice at 0:34 where they sing "You really got me" 3 times, that they pronounce it "You really got maeh". "Me" is not even close to the spoken pronunciation. They're not even trying to make it sound like the actual "ee" vowel. But despite the blatant modification, everybody still knows what they're singing the word "me", and it's just fine.

that's the beauty of this forum. singers can learn things from other singers, singers can learn things from teachers, and teachers can learn things from other singers.

we're all one big happy family!!!....lol!!! trying to figure and oftentimes refigure and re-refigure all of this stuff out.....lol!!!!