What do audition results really mean?

Rate this topic

Judges are very subjective depending on many factors out of your control.

So I wouldn't take it seriously. Also, with auditions they already have an image

of the type of person they want and if you don't fit that image they won't pick

you (regardless of vocal ability).

Of course, listen to the judge's opinions, but take it with a grain of salt.

boy renee, you sure post some great topics.

for me it all depends...when i auditioned for "the voice," you basically enter an acoustically dead room along with 9 others where every single singer you thought of as great, one better than the other.

not one of us got to go through the next round. in those instances, you say to yourself you did the best you could, and that's all you can do.

some were devastated.

auditions i've come to learn, is a lot of being in the right place at the right time......a.k.a., luck.

I've mentioned it before in other threads but it really ha a place in this thread. Anyone remember a few years ago when you could not turn on a radio without hearing "Bubbly" by Colby Calais? She had auditioned for AI. But they were looking for something other than a great voice and pleasing look.

They, of course, pick the ones that have "drama" in their lives. And they pick the "rejects" purely for fodder for the judges, especially when Simon Cowell was still on there. Like people slowing down to see a wreck on the other side of the freeway. The spectacle of the macabre.

And I have auditioned for bands. And have mentioned it before, in other threads. But, basically, the best experience, though I was not chosen, was auditioning for Razin Cain, a band of local repute back in 1990, or so. I just wasn't the sound they were looking for. And that's the biggest part of an audition for a band. Do you fit together? I've not really contemplated auditioning for talent shows. The buying public doesn't care if you won. They care if the song moves them and they like your singing, judges or not. You could please all the judges and still not sell one record.

Unless your aim is to win contests. In which case, you would probably need to train for that. I think it is absolutely ironic that Steven Tyler would be a talent show judge. For he earned his stripes the hard way. Touring forever, playing any place big enough to hold the band. And they were rejected by every label they applied to, at least once. Basically, "judges" in the business.

All things being considered, you need to be confident in the fact that you know what you are doing. So, that when you are rejected, you don't take it personally.

Owen raises a good thing about age.

AC/DC had another singer before Bon. He was a flashy showman, to make up for a limited voice. When they were auditioning Bon, they weren't sure that it would work. The Young brothers were barely 20. Bon was 29, an "old man." They weren't sure than an old man would fit right with their youthful brashness and Angus' schoolboy uniform. Then they heard him sing. Not quite as flashy and more leering than his predecessor, he could, however, do what he did, live or in studio. In fact, the first several albums were recorded on low budget and low tech in generally 3 weeks. It was not until "Highway to Hell" that they spent more time. Mutt Lange made them spend 3 months on it. And he made their simple sound bigger. And he did the same thing with "Back in Black," their best selling album and one of the best selling rock albums, period. 27 times platinum, worldwide. Much of that album included Bon's ideas. All that from a guy that was too old.

I know I'm too old. Which won't stop me. I'll just keep doing what I am doing. You've got to pick carefully what you are looking for in an audition. I would probably not audition for a band that states upfront that they want to sound like Slayer. I have the wrong voice for it and my own preference of music is different, no matter how much I may admire "Reign in Blood."

I like Motorhead and their riff driven idea. And would not audition for a band doing that because they are expecting Lemmy and I can't do that, or won't do that, take your pick.

And most guys my age are not in the record biz. We're all working day jobs 50 to 70 hours a week and anything we do has to fit in that schedule. Especially with my 70's era sound. It's just not in demand, these days. I might get away with in a blues club that would have a limited crowd of people my age and older. Probably 30 people in the joint at any on given time. Playing just for the chance to perform, as a set fee would probably just cover expenses (transport, dinner, etc.) Getting the door receipts is not always a wise bet. It could be a slow night. And clubs are not too keen on sharing the bar receipts because that's where the real money is.

But I'm not dead yet and there's always a chance I will run into some other aging hippies that want to get together and make some noise.

True, there are people my age entering these talent competitions and shows. I don't have the "drama" they are looking for. I don't think I fit any particular stage persona. Unless you consider a jean jacket with Harley patches on it a "look." In which case, I had better audition with "Born to be Wild."

my personal opinion..... the top 12 on a.i. and other network shows are probably pre-chosen or get pushed through by talent companies or people with "connections."

the cattle call is a fantastic marketing gimmick to find the ones they can poke fun at....and maybe one or two good ones that are "unique" whatever that means is debatable.

it's television, ratings, sponsors, sell products

it's also used as a test market to minimize flops.

Stepping away from the popstar thing, auditions are great. You can collect feedback from persons directly involved on the field you want to work with.

I dont think that an audition for a tv show should be taken seriously. Its a circus and even the feedback will be done according to what gives more audience.

If you apply for a job as a singer, and not a lottery ticket for brief fame, then I think its information that should be taken very seriously, or else you will lock yourself inside a bubble.

Excellent point, Felipe. And I think it also goes with preparation. What band is one auditioning for? What kind of music? Can and will they do cover tunes? Which ones? Can they change key to match you or vice versa? Is it that important?

And many are upfront in their advertisments. Such as listing bands as influences. Like I said in other words, before, let's say that you do not have a voice like Phil Anselmo. Then it might not be worth your time and that of the band to audition for a band that wishes to be Pantera 2.0.

On the other hand, bands have gone with different singers specfically to have a change of sound. Such as when Paul Rogers joined Queen. He sounds nothing like Freddie Mercury and that was a key point.

Not that choosing wisely will reduce the chances of rejection. That can still happen. And, with the bands I auditioned for, they didn't have singing advice, most of them not being singers. I either didn't fit the sound or I didn't have equipment they could use. One band rejected me for a less capable singer because he had recording equipment. And they were honest enough to tell me so. So, even with the rejections, I was treated with some honesty. Funny that it had nothing to do with my singing.

Except for Razin Cain. And it was not a problem with my singing. I just didn't have the "sound" they were looking for. And that is okay, too. I think Scott Weiland has a great voice. And I think he was totally wrong for Velvet Revolver. They should have had Myles Kennedy. And now, Slash is recording and performing with him, anyway, as a solo act featuring Myles. What he is doing now is what Velvet Revolver should have been doing.

A good thing about auditions, even if you are rejected, is that you can network. So, don't leave mad. Find out what's going on around town. Maybe this band can't use your sound but another band could. Ask them to keep yuor contact info to hand out to other bands, etc, in the know. If you have some hard media copies of your singing, give those away as a calling card, so to speak. What if I audition for a band that is really more interested in sounding like Train? And my sound is a little to "rock." Maybe they could hook me up with some hippies that just can't let go of the Led Zep thing. You never know. And being gracious will give you a good name around town.

Yeah, there's this guy named Ron. Not much of a bottom end. His highs can peel the paint off the walls. Cool sound, just not what we were looking for. But, hey, here's his number. Weren't you guys thinking of adding "Ramble On" as a cover in the set? That's your guy.

It could happen. A rejection is not the end of the world, just the end of that audition.

VIDEOHERE - Thanks for the compliment. It seems to have brought out some incredible insights.

Say, was it you who asked me a question about a month ago? (the day I left for vacation at the beach!) about an example for hopping the hills and valleys in the melodic line? I haven't been able to find it to respond to. Let me know, please. Thanks