Brett Manning sings an original song (and Tom Waits)

Rate this topic

chamcham

Found this on Youtube

Oddly enough, parts of the chorus reminds me of "Tom Traubert's Blues" by Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpwgHqlfWo

Btw, can anyone describe what vocal techniques I need to sound like Tom Waits? :D

He has such a unique voice. He sounds like a beast (like Cookie Monster from "Sesame Street").

Btw, can anyone describe what vocal techniques I need to sound like Tom Waits? :D

He has such a unique voice. He sounds like a beast (like Cookie Monster from "Sesame Street").

Well first off....you need to pick up some sweet moves with the ladies:

woa strange I just saw this clip and was coming to post it on the site! glad a checked to see if it already existed ;)

I think his voice is pleasant enough. Too bad he is so against working on support, sounded like he was running out of breath the whole time and sounds like he is having to hold back too much air with his folds rather than rationing it correctly. Also would have liked him to go into that "mix" he constantly speaks of, rather than his nice head voice everytime he approaches a high note...

I'm not impressed at all by Brett's singing here. He sounds good for what it is, but for a guy who teaches "mixed voice" and "effortless singing" exclusively I hear none of that. Frankly he doesn't sound like he has many years of vocal training, he sounds like a good amateur to me. And for a guy who is against pulling chest I think he is pulling chest :D

While I'm not a Brett supporter and while he does seem to be running out of breath in several places, it also looks like he's really getting into the song (or is in severe pain, take your pick), so we can probably cut him some slack.

Also, I think the way he sang it with the falsetto and all fits the song and the mood, but that's just me.

boy, it just goes to show how we perceive other vocalists.

i think he sounds pretty good! not running out of air, he's playing with air to bring out his emotions is my take. i listened to it as a guy who has never heard the song before.

Dont think it's harmfull to sing that way, in My mind you can strain the body all you want as long as you dont put the pressure on the folds.

From à technique point of view tension in the body shoulders lifting, face turning red etc is not by anymeans optimal

So yes it's à price that has to be payed inform of alot extra energy used.

Now i do think Brett limits his upperrange by singing this way.

Yeah i agree, but on the other side i belive that is à psycological thing. We cant hear if à sound is harmfull or strained, what i mean is we can see and hear indicators that perhaps this is strainfull but only truly the Singer knows.

Heck some genres have à demand for sounds that are similar to an 80 year old grandma being raped in an alley by thugs. There is no possibility for us to know if those sounds are made correct or not as if its made incorrect it Will result in vocaldamage and if done correct you can tour with these sounds.

Same applies to this or other sounds, à sound is just à sound and the same sound to My belif can be created diffrent ways but still sound the same.

Whats your thought on this felipe? This is atleast what i belive for now :)

What I hear that gives me the thought that he is not using air in a very, we will say, 'optimal' way, is how he ends his phrases. As soon as he lets go of his fold compression, you can here a huge exasperation of air, which I think is partly for style, but partly because he is holding a ton of air back with the folds themselves. I think his voice still sounds good though, he certainly has great fold closure especially in his head voice.

I listened to it as if it was just someone...anyone...singing an original song; not a vocal coach. I didn't think the singing was bad nor his voice. However I didn't care for the song or lyrics nor the presentation of the song as a whole. I didn't care for the emotion he was trying to project. It wasn't believable for me. Kind of like overacting by a bad actor.

And on the first set of falsetto notes he did it got too low. I am thinking he might have wanted to go softer there but I think it took away from the fact he was using falsetto and those notes got lost. Even later the song went too extreme (imo) on the highs and lows. It was too much of a mismatch or a gap. For me it made the song uneven. Rather than go softer he ended up going lower....if that makes sense.

So, I finally just listened to the song.

And it's a song, not a teaching tool or a study of technique, as far as I could tell. A good one and I think he sang it just fine. Yeah, a little bluesy, something akin to Tom Waits and others of his genre. But I could hear some beatles-esque arrangement in there. And the falsetto bit reminded me a little of Freddie Mercury. This is Brett Manning, singer-songwriter and performing artist.

The hat and the shades threw me off but hey, if that gets one in the "mood," so be it. Actually not bad for a blues crooner outfit. It was a good song and a good performance. And fine for the genre of the song.

To me, I get the feeling of a man either at the beginning of what he knows is going to be a long day, or at the end of a long day just trying to relax for a few minutes. I don't think he has in mind to show anyone how awesome he is or what a great vocal technique he uses. Just relaxing for himself doing his thing. With that in mind he sounds pretty good.

Jens, the problems come from things that you can tour with, not from the obvious instant hoarse abuse.

End a reharsal feeling a small raspy sensation and its enough to cause problems in one or two years of use. If it actually sounds great and you get to do it a lot, 6 months. Then you compensate for the injury with more stress, and so on, until a nodule or another condition that prevents you from doing anything decently appears.

How to listen to strain begins with first understanding how to sing without it. Since I learned it, its been pretty obvious to me. Its not on sound quality or effects. Its on the qualities present on the attack and release, how the vowels behave and how consonants affect the vowels.

Its possible to produce drive and even loud screams while reducing the ammount of damage, certainly, but it will happen. If you are skilled enough and wise enough to not abuse it, its possible to do entire sets using it as you see fit without any apparent compromise of vocal health.

Not the case here, by the end of the song, you can hear that his voice is giving up. 5 minutes...

Basicly what im saying is that, it's not the sound thats dangerous it's how it's produced. You can basicly wear yourself out. Highnotes are more "dangerous" for your vocalhealth Than low notes, this includes speaking and also the reason why women are overrepresented to logopeadics and vocal injury.

The average Woman teachers folds vibrates over à million Times' more Than a males à day. Alittle fun fact :)

Honestly, I think that Bret Manning performance is great. He obviously 'pulls chest' as an effect in some parts, and the emotional breathy thing you hear in a lot of this same genre of singing, also an effect.

He obviously can hit these things effortlessly if you've watched his exercises...Unfortunately none of his exercises worked for me and I gave up on his SS program a long time ago. :|

Honestly, I think that Bret Manning performance is great. He obviously 'pulls chest' as an effect in some parts, and the emotional breathy thing you hear in a lot of this same genre of singing, also an effect.

He obviously can hit these things effortlessly if you've watched his exercises...Unfortunately none of his exercises worked for me and I gave up on his SS program a long time ago. :|

lord adon, when you say none of his exercises "worked for you" what exactly do you mean?

what exercises didn't work for you? i'd really like to know.

bob

• Administrator

Brett sounds hella better then Tom Waits! Brett sounds fine, its just a simple ballad, its not a prog. metal song... you judge it for what it is. Its a decent song and his singing is fine. Anyone that steps up and writes an original song, is ok with me. I like his fluttery vibrato and tone.