What technique/style is being used here.

Rate this topic

Consumingfire39

Coheed is my favorite band in the world. Personally, I am not very similar to the vocalist (Claudio Sanchez) at all. That being said, I am curious as to his configuration.

He clearly has a lot of head resonance but I am not sure how forward his placement is. He is definitely in a mix but is he using some pure head voice at times?

To answer your question (I think) the guy thins out his vocal folds as a bit more when he goes into those very very top notes. In the language of mix vs head, I suppose this would be what you'd call a more of a pure "head tone". But it's still a smooth connected sound and he's definitely not in falsetto.

The larynx is a little high and the placement a little forward but I say that with emphasis on the "little". The guy clearly has great control over his larynx and knows how to raise it enough to brighten certain spots without overdoing it and choking off the sound.

• 2 years later...

I gotta bump this thread.

This guy totally nails Heaven & Hell, and it sounds absolutely amazing. He's using the tonality that I've always wanted to achieve, that sort of crying, almost comic way of dropping the larynx in some phrases "Do me *huh-wrong* you're a bringer of evil" and in that "huh" sound he cries the note. It's just really, really hard to get right, since (AFAIK) it's completely counter to singing anything else, it's harder to balance a low larynx "scream" than a high larynx one.

I dunno, I just pulled that analysis out of my ass to put Claudio on the pedestal, since I think that cover is so amazing.

the way dio intended

Watch his breathing. When he inhales, his belly descends, letting the air fall in. Then, his midsection straightens up as he controls the exhale.

And, depending on the tonality he wants, he opens his mouth sideways.

And looks a little like our own Daniel Formica with those curly locks.

:lol:

i'm with you my brotha ron...

one great vocalist...

there is such skill at facial and throat (vowel) manipulation coupled with very solid appoggio style support. he is a very mentally focused singer and knows exactly where to direct his voice to amplify and resonate the most efficiently and accurately for his particular voice.

in other words, he's in control and knows exactly what he needs to do.